Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Bad Girl Gone by Temple Mathews

Bad Girl Gone by Temple Mathews
Published August 8, 2017
Summary on Goodreads
Review:
I really don’t like bashing books but OMG this book was painful to read. The only thing I liked about this book was the premise – I thought the whole “halfway” house for the ghosts was an interesting concept and seeking revenge for one’s death was intriguing. However, the execution was by far the worst I have ever seen. 

First of all, the characters specifically Echo, the MC, was TERRIBLE. I absolutely abhorred her. I thought she was whiney, annoying, entirely too self-centered and everything else negative. Obviously I understand that when you die, you need time to come to terms with that fact; however, she was INTOLERABLE. I just found her so incredibly selfish especially with the whole Andy situation. Andy was her boyfriend (now that she’s dead) and rather than trying to let him be happy, she was basically like “no, stay away from other girls. He’s MINE” even though she was clearly dead. And while she didn’t want him to be with anyone else except for her, there she was dilly-dallying with a fellow ghost. Like seriously? You’re allowed to like someone else but you won’t give the guy you supposedly love the same courtesy? By this point, I was already like please just go away and I want this book to be over. 

Second, the other characters also had no substance. All I ever read about Andy was his moping around and being all forlorn. I mean, it was to the point where he wanted to kill himself to be with Echo. Like seriously? You were both in high school – “true love” does not happen there. Echo’s fellow ghosts felt like they were just second-handed characters. Other than helping her do the hauntings, they didn’t really play any sort of role in the story. Cole, a fellow ghost, was also someone I didn’t really get. I’m not sure why he felt that attraction to Echo – I mean, what exactly did she do so far? At that point, all that happened was him meeting her and now all of a sudden, he’s super into her and would do pretty much anything. Huh?? 

Third, the plot was so unoriginal. There were the obvious suspects and the hauntings that the ghosts did were literally your stereotypical manifestations (i.e. banging, electricity, cold air, apparitions, etc.) that I was kind of unsurprised and not at all impressed. It was no wonder why the actual culprit for Echo’s death was so blasé about the whole situation. And while I was surprised who the murderer was, the overall ending was just meh to me. I felt that the author tried too hard to make it seem as something tragic occurred and the extent of it was just crazy to me. 

Overall, this is not a book I would recommend – I really, really disliked it. I’m just glad that this book was a quick read so I didn’t have to spend too much time on it.
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015