Monday, February 13, 2017

Book Tour: Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones

Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones
Published February 7, 2017
Summary on Goodreads
Review:
The one thing I would have to say about this book is that it was definitely slow to start.  It was actually so slow that I considered giving it up at one point if it wasn’t for this book tour obligation and in a way, I was glad that I stuck through and finished it.  Wintersong isn’t a book with a lot of action or suspense or excitement but it is a book that offers a lot of emotion and feeling.  A lot of times when I read books, I like something that is off the bat exciting or full of adventure but Wintersong isn’t like that at all.  It’s like a slow burn (just like Liesl!) and at the end, you end up feeling pretty satisfied.

The characters in this book all had a lot of pros and cons to them.  Liesl, while fiercely loyal to her dear brother and sister, was very lost for herself.  She didn’t know what she wanted other than create music but she lacked the conviction to stand up to her father or to go out in the world.  So in a way, without the push of the Goblin King and his games, she would never have actually pursued music on a grander scale.  And by that, I really mean, she wouldn’t have just simply dabbled in a few songs here and there but actually wrote a sonata with more than just one movement.  However, at the end though, I was disappointed to see that she still hesitated to really further her music inspirations.

The Goblin King was also something I had mixed feelings for.  It was obvious how much he cared for Liesl but because of his immortality and eons of being trapped in the Underground as their king, he lost ability to really feel any sort of emotions so he was always very cold in some ways and he couldn’t express his emotions really well.  I think the author did a good job in portraying this in a realistic manner.  And since he couldn’t express his emotions well, I also couldn’t connect with him at times and found him very cut off.  Also, I was shocked to find out who his real identity was.  I guess it made sense – why he was always playing the piano – but still.  Damn.  At least, I think that was who the author was hinting at for his true identity.

As for the other characters: Kathe and Josef, Liesl’s sister and brother – I didn’t really like either of them.  Kathe was so immature in the beginning with her impish ways and inability to take any responsibilities that I was shocked to find that she still believed in Liesl after she was erased from the world and would continuously stop by the grove to offer little presents.  Josef was also way too dependent on Liesl.  In the beginning, he always looked at her to make sure she approved something before saying anything.  I just can’t handle people with that kind of mentality.  I like independence and Josef was on the opposite end of that spectrum.  But I am glad that they were there to make sure that Liesl was not forgotten because apparently love was the factor that allowed you to stay sane in the Underworld.

The plot itself was a little twisty turney at some point mainly because the goblins didn’t want to offer any straight answers and Liesl was either too enamored with the king or too depressed about losing her scenes once she was forgotten or something.  There was always something.  And a lot of the games in the beginning and at the end were very puzzling which I guess was the main point.  But I feel like they were a little too puzzling even for me. 

Overall, I enjoyed the book. I found the characters to be of interest with lots of levels in their personalities and characterizations.  It’s always good to have characters that are not so one-sided.  
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015