Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Matched Series (#2-3) by Ally Condie

Matched Series (#2-3) by Ally Condie
Published between 2011-2012
Summary on Goodreads
Review:
This was one of those trilogies where too much time had passed between me reading the first book and being able to finally finish the rest of the books because honestly, I was quite lost in the second book and couldn’t really connect with any of the characters or situations.  By the time the third book ended, I was more interested in simply finishing the series rather than really relating to the plot itself.

The books essentially followed three characters’ POV: Cassia, Ky and Xander.  I definitely enjoyed reading their different POVs because it really showcased each of their struggles and what they were going through at different parts of the world with different situations.  For example, Cassia was trying to find Ky in the first half of the second novel with Ky trying to escape to reach Cassia.  Xander, on the other hand, was still in the city trying to fix things from the inside.  You can really see how each POV highlighted different aspects to cover the entire story.

Out of all of the characters, I think I liked Cassia least of all.  I understand she had this love triangle thing going on but I couldn’t really see what the appeal for her was.  She didn’t seem particularly interesting or special – in fact, she was the only one out of everyone else where the red tablet worked.  Everyone else, Ky and Xander, were all immune to it.  So she wasn’t even handpicked from the Rebellion to help them – she was the typical society sheep.  So, for me, I was pretty much like whatever Cassia.

I did enjoy reading about Ky and Xander for the most part.  However, I thought the last book dragged a lot in all of the POVs so by the second half, I was very eager to simply finish the book.  I did enjoy reading about how Xander found his girl at the end so it was a good ending for all of them rather than an unhappy one for the third wheel since it was a love triangle.

The ending for me was a bit strange mainly because I didn’t really fully get the whole outside society concept and why they were immune to begin with.  There were a lot of things that didn’t really fully get explained for me so after a while, I was more confused than anything else.  I definitely wish the author did a bit more work on the explanations.

Overall, the series was just okay for me.  I’m glad things ended well for pretty much everyone but that was it.  I couldn’t really get too invested in the books though.  I’m not sure if I would recommend this series but I definitely remember enjoying the first book.
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015