Friday, April 28, 2017

Timekeeper by Tara Sim

Timekeeper by Tara Sim
Published November 8, 2016
Summary on Goodreads

Review:
Originally I was supposed to join this book tour, which I still did, but rather than doing a review like I had planned originally, I ended up opting for just the spotlight because this book was just so.damn.boring.  I really couldn’t get into it whatsoever.  I also read this via audiobook and as always, the narrator played a major role in setting the tone of the story and I’m sorry but he did a poor job.  In fact, there were a lot of times when I almost fell asleep listening to him drone on and on.  Actually, now that I think of it, I definitely fell asleep once and missed almost 30 minutes but it was so boring that I didn’t want to go back and re-listen to that lost 30 mins.  So I just moved on.

Not only was the narration terrible, the plot, world building and character development was also done in a very poor manner.  Let’s start with the plot – my god, was it slow.  The plot is also very closely aligned with world-building since without the other, the plot can easily fall apart and that’s what happened.  The world-building wasn’t done very well so the plot just died for me.  I didn’t understand the whole time and clock relationship until past the halfway point.  At that point, I was more invested in just simply finishing the book than the characters/plot itself.  And that relationship – clock and time – is absolutely vital to the book.  It is basically the backbone of the entire plot and since it wasn’t presented in an orderly fashion and since I obviously didn’t get it, it was completely lost on me.

The characters also needed a lot of work.  I didn’t really understand the relationship between Danny and Colton – it started off strangely and I couldn’t really grasp how they developed feelings for each other and how it progressed in a manner that made sense.  All I know is that somehow they went from point a to point z very quickly.  Also, the other characters were also not well-developed – they seemingly played a role only because this book needed that particular role.  Otherwise, they didn’t do anything, really.  The book needed a villain which it promptly provided, the book needed a reason for the villain to at the way that he or she did and it was promptly provided, etc.  Not only that but Danny, as the main character, was also someone I couldn’t connect with. 


Overall, I really do not see the hype with this book.   Though, to be fair, it might have something to do with the narrator but it can’t possibly be all him.  Plus, the narrator did a terrible job on the female voices – they sounded so artificial and high-squeaked to be realistic.  I honestly cannot recommend this book to anyone.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015