Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Subject Seven by James A. Moore

Subject Seven by James A. Moore
Published January 20, 2011
Summary on Goodreads
Review:
A very interesting take on sci-fi with the whole Jekyll and Hyde thing.  The author definitely did a good job in alternating between the Jekyll version and the Hyde version.  The only thing I was a little confused about was in the beginning with the scientists – why would they allow the Jekyll version in their own homes but would lock up the Hyde version in the jail cell and test him?  I mean, I get that one of the version is the sweet, docile and normal kid but the other is crazy, super strong, and mildly evil so it would make sense to keep one out and lock the other up.  The question is: how do they know when they switch characters and do they have enough time to quickly lock the Hyde version up?  It seems to me that the switch is pretty quick.  Also, I was under the impression that the Hyde version was more or less the one in charge so if that was the case, how come the scientists felt that it was okay to keep the Jekyll version free? 

I also found the transition between the two to be interesting.  I actually thought that in the beginning that it was more like schizo where only the personalities changed but I didn’t realize that actually the entire body changed and some of the kids actually grew taller and whatnot.  It was crazy to think about it.  In a way, it reminded me of like…werewolves (LOL) because it’s essentially the same thing.  Both parties are shifting and changing to accommodate an entirely different form.

I’m not sure if I was a fan of the characters – there weren’t too much characterization especially since the POVs jumped from character to character not to mention, there was also Hunter’s Jekyll version to consider as well since he was also included in the POVs.  So there were definitely a lot of back and forth and/or reading the same situation in a different POV which is nice but after a while can be quite tedious and redundant.  I’m also curious to know why the other Jekyll’s POV didn’t make an entrance when Hunter’s did.  Obviously they had a late start in showing up but towards the end, it could have helped to see what the others thought.

There is another book in this series but I don’t think I am that invested in it to try to search for it.  Not to mention, I’m a little wary that this series didn’t fully end – every time I see a series with only two books, I’m either like this isn’t really a series or the author felt that he/she couldn’t finish it so then there’s this cliffhanger which is pretty much the worst ending ever.  So I’ll rather just leave this as is and move on with other books.
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015