Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Genesis by Bernard Beckett

Genesis by Bernard Beckett
Published April 20, 2009
Summary on Goodreads

Review:
Definitely a crazy book.  The last few pages pretty much shocked me like no other mainly because I went in with assumptions and realized that Bernard, the author, pretty much blew all of my assumption out of the water.  I just can’t believe the ending and the realization that Anax faced as well as anything else really.

The book definitely started out a little slow and it was very wordy.  It certainly was not a book where you can simply gloss over the paragraphs but you really had to read each sentence, each word, very carefully otherwise you will miss hints that are scattered throughout.  However, the book was also very short.  To be honest, I considered putting the book down at one point because I just wanted to get to the climax or the action, really.  But once the book entered the dialogue between Adam and Art, I started to really get into it.  It was fascinating to read the exchange between the two – man and machine.  At the same, though, I was curious to know why exactly they were imprisoned together.  I understood why Adam was imprisoned because that was explained but not for Art.  And apparently they spent years together in the same jail room. 

Another interesting facet was towards the end when they – Adam and Art – plotted their escape and that realization was particularly fascinating.  I couldn’t believe what happened and it really made me question stuff about life.  Is man really more powerful than a machine?  Normally I would say yes because man is needed to create the machine but at the same time, clearly machines are more powerful than man as seen by computers and similar gadgets we have now.  So it’s a lot of information to mull over and consider. 

The ending was definitely the craziest aspect of the book.  I still can’t believe who, or what, Anax and the rest of the “people” were.  Not to mention, the truth of the actual examination and why it’s there and how it affects Anax’s future.  The ending was also very abrupt but it was an abruptness that made sense as opposed to some other books where the ending is simply cut off for no reason.  There is most definitely a reason as to why this ending was cut off.


Overall, I found this book intriguing and it certainly made me think a lot.  However, due to the wordiness, the pace of the book and the lack of character development since a lot of the context was either the exchange between Adam and Art or the interview between the examiners and Anax, I can’t stay that I particularly liked the book too much.  It was basically a book that reminded me of philosophy that was somehow concise and put into a YA book. 

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015