Monday, February 20, 2017

Whatever Happened to Interracial Love? by Kathleen Collins

Whatever Happened to Interracial Love? by Kathleen Collins
Published December 6, 2016
Summary on Goodreads
Review:
My friend got this for her BOTM and we exchanged ours so we could read more books.  That being said, we have COMPLETELY different taste in books so while it’s fun to exchange and read more books, it’s also difficult (for me at least) to read some of her choices.  I mean, for December, she chose the one book that I was pretty much like ugh, no way.  Same for January, now that I think about it. 

I’m really not a fan of short stories, poems, etc. and this book and January’s are both short stories.  Short stories are difficult for me mainly because I don’t have the attention span to capture the entire story in 10 pages.  I really need a full length book for me to soak in the characters, understand the world in the book, and really appreciate the book itself.  With short stories, everything is so quick that I’m still thinking about the previous story when it’s already halfway in the next one.  Or worse, I’m still trying to figure out what’s going on when I stumble upon the last page and then I’m like, oh shit, what just happened?  And since I hate rereading things, I always just move on instead and hope for the best.

So, that being said, I was not a fan of this book.  Other than the fact that it’s full of short stories, I also couldn’t relate whatsoever.  Black culture really isn’t my background at all (I’m Asian American – Taiwanese to be exact) and even though I grew up with African Americans around me, it’s not the same for me to truly know their heritage and background.  And since this book primarily focused on African Americans in the 1800s-1900s, I really had no clue and couldn’t even connect the dots. 

Out of all the short stories, I think that there was only one or two that somewhat held my interest.  That goes to show how little this book intrigued me.  So I don’t want to take up everyone’s time by reading a lengthy review because it’s going to say the same thing over and over again: I did not enjoy this book.  However, if you’re really into short stories and can truly appreciate them, then give this a try.  Otherwise I have nothing left to say.
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015