Monday, February 6, 2017

The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
Published November 1, 2016
Summary on Goodreads
Review:
I got this book for December’s BOTM choice and since I’d heard of a lot of positive things about this book, I was highly anticipating it.  Also, the book is huge but once I actually opened the book, I realized that the font is mega large and each “chapter” is incredibly short – I think the longest chapter was literally a few pages long.

The one thing I really liked about this book was the different POVs aside from the two main characters: Natasha and Daniel.  For those of you who have read my other reviews, you’ll probably be surprised as to why I liked the various POVs when I usually dislike them.  It’s all about the way on how it’s presented.  A lot of the other books are so messy that you can easily get lost in other people’s POV; however, in this case, everything is so short and concise that you literally cannot get confused when someone else pops up and talks about themselves and their viewpoint.  Plus it was very interesting, at least for me, to read about how someone else interpreted either Daniel or Natasha’s actions and the reasoning behind it. 

I was most disappointed with that lawyer because omg, seriously?  At first, I was like wow he’s doing such a good job and going out of his way to help Natasha out and then when you read his POV and find out why things happened the way they did, you’re like WTF man.  I mean I understand that you cherish your own happiness more than someone else’s but you basically put yourself first for that few short hours and destroyed a young girl’s entire future (or at least the next 10 years of her life).  And at the end, you still went back to your wife and told her what needed to be said and you still spent the rest of your life with that lady in a happily ever after sort of way.  So why did you spend those few hours doing that instead of doing something that could actually change someone else’s life?  So anyways, I’m really not that happy with the lawyer.

Another thing I found interesting was how the author used the whole scientific list of questions to fall in love and it apparently worked.  I found that article with the list of questions back when it came out a while ago but never thought I’ll go back to it because a book was basically written in response to it.  And even though Daniel and Natasha are so fundamentally different with different backgrounds, different beliefs, different hobbies and vastly different futures, they were still able to fall in love (in a day, no less!).  Despite that though, I do want to point out that this all started because there was at least a physical attraction at first.  I mean, Daniel would have never gotten to known Natasha if she didn’t intrigue him in some way in the beginning.  He never would have felt that urge to get to know her better.  So maybe it’s not just the scientific method but also a dash of true interest?  No one will ever know.

I didn’t mention too much about Daniel or Natasha because there really isn’t too much to mention about the two.  This isn’t a novel where the characters really developed and grew – it’s more about how these two characters found each other and fell in love.  That being said, I did feel that Daniel especially, at the end, felt like he was a lot older than he technically was.  There was a paragraph towards the end that he said and I was like wow, he sounds so much more mature than (I think they’re both 17 or 18) his actual age.  Which makes me question about how realistic their ages were because there were other times when they definitely acted like the teenagers that they were. 

The conclusion definitely caught me off guard.  I was so expecting a certain outcome but not the one portrayed in the book.  I definitely enjoyed it even though it wasn’t the best ending mainly because it was refreshing and different than the usual.  So I’m really glad that the author found an alternative ending to what would have been something very cliché.  
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015