Friday, February 10, 2017

The Outs by E.S. Wesley

The Outs by E.S. Wesley
Published January 24, 2017
Summary on Goodreads
Review:
I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this book because the synopsis didn’t give too much information and I just knew that it was sci-fi related.  It was more sci-fi than I had imagined.  Possibly almost to the realm of fantasy lol. 

So the Outs is basically when the lights go out, you can still go about your day but you forget everything during that time when the lights come back on and everyone who had died during that time basically get a re-do.  At first, I didn’t really get the concept because the author didn’t really describe it that well.  For the first few chapters, my main question was: WTF is the Outs?!  It wasn’t till I got more into the book that it started to become clearer.  However, this concept of the Outs is just the tip of the iceberg.  There are a bunch of things that I still have questions about: how did the Deadheaders come to be?  The author gave a semi response to this but it’s still not very clear.  The concept is just a little out there and I feel like I need a better explanation.  How come it was Kitzi who was the trigger versus Amanda or Nicky?  Why was she the special one when they were pretty much all the same?  I definitely ended the book with more questions than answers.  The concept itself is good but it’s so complex that I don’t think the author did a fantastic job in fully breaking that down.

The relationship between Caleb and Kitzi was a little odd.  For some reason, I got the feeling that they were more like brothers and sisters rather than potential girlfriend/boyfriend material.  Maybe it’s because they’ve been friends for so long and they’ve seen each other at the worst and the best that any sort of affection just feels brotherly/sisterly.  I’m not really sure what the reason is but I just can’t imagine them becoming more than just friends. 

Also, I never really liked either characters to be perfectly honest.  Caleb, though at first seemed like he was very brave and whatnot, but in reality he wasn’t.  He was weak and in denial a lot of times which is why he was vulnerable to Crimes.  I have no interest in weak men.  As for Kitzi, I can’t say this is a fault of her directly, but I could not understand a word of what she was saying whenever the Outs was gone and her aphasia took place.  Half the time, I just sat there trying to decipher her meaning and the words of the people around her. 

I was most definitely not a fan of the ending.  I like endings that are clear cut and leave you with a positive feeling.  This ending was so vague and not at all satisfying because you don’t really know the outcome of some of the main characters.  I can’t decide if I feel cheated or not.  I just prefer when things are more clear cut and this one was certainly not.

All in all, I found this book to be vaguely interesting but could have been a lot better with more explanations of some of the sci-fi concepts, a more realistic couple (Caleb & Kitzi) and a much better ending.  
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015