Friday, February 17, 2017

Heartless by Marissa Meyer

Heartless by Marissa Meyer
Published November 8, 2016
Summary on Goodreads
Review:
This is one of those rare moments where I actually loved two books back to back.  Usually I’m a pretty harsh critic or just not easily impressed but, I have to say, I was impressed with this one.  Though, honestly, it shouldn’t be a surprise because Marissa Meyer is a solid author (or so I’d heard since I have yet to read the Cinder Chronicles).

So I knew that this was somehow related to Alice in Wonderland but I had thought it was a spinoff or something or like an alternate reality to the story.  What I didn’t realize was that this was the backstory of the Queen of Hearts and how she came to be that way.  How come everyone is coming up with these stories and making her to be the victim instead?  Even the recent movie adaptation talks about her past and makes her out to be this poor, misunderstood girl.  That being said though, this book definitely portrayed every character beautifully and is actually a fabulous back story to the Queen of Hearts as well as the other characters in the Kingdom of Hearts.

It’s crazy to think how the Queen used to be – her personality was so sweet and loving and then suddenly because of a tragic event and due to circumstances that her parents forced upon her, she basically turned a 180 and became the Queen we all know and despise from our childhood.  And all the events that led to her change in personality was actually quite sad.  I was really, really hoping for a spectacular turn of events where love overcame all things but unfortunately reality is reality, I suppose.

My favorite aspect of this book was how the author managed to weave such an intricate tale of the pumpkin seeds, romance, death, danger and the explanations of not only the Queen but also other iconic characters like the Mad Hatter and the Cheshire cat.  All of those things compiled together to form a fascinating tale and I absolutely adored every part of it.

I also loved how she managed to include all the famous quotes like “why is the raven like a writing desk” or “off with his/her head!” and using it to really emphasis the Hatta’s slow descend to madness and the Queen’s favorite phrase and how it came to be.  His sudden confession at the end also took me by surprise but it also explained a lot of stuff.  The ending was honestly just so tragic and even though it was a good transition to our childhood fairy tale but it was still a sad ending.  It was like one of those bittersweet endings.

Overall, fabulous book.  I didn’t want to discuss too much otherwise it’ll spoil more than I already had (oops).  But the other characters: Cath’s parents, Marianne (I hope I’m spelling her name right), the King and even Jest all came together and I honestly really enjoyed it.  I would definitely recommend it.  And now I have to read the Lunar Chronicles.
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015