Monday, January 30, 2017

The Heart by Maylis de Kerangal

The Heart by Maylis de Kerangal
Published January 1, 2014
Summary on Goodreads
Review:
The premise of this book seemed so intriguing that I had picked this as our first book club book (I feel like I’m just gaining more and more book clubs rather than just grouping them all into one…) but regardless, I found myself struggling a lot to finish this one.  But obviously I had to since it was my idea in the first place so it was just a matter of pride for me to finish. 

I think the biggest reason why it was so difficult to read this one was because there was a lot medical terminology that I found myself skimming and just skipping paragraphs after paragraphs.  Plus the way how the book was written felt very scattered.  There were often times when we jumped to someone else’s POV but I have no idea who that person is or how that person is related until around the end where I was finally like “oh so that’s how this person comes into play.” 

And then there was also the fact that there were just too many names going on that I felt extremely confused.  There were hospital names and then the donoree name (I don’t even know what they’re called – the people who receive the donated organs) and then there were obviously the numerous doctors and nurses that were involved with the process.  There were just way too many things going on but in a very slow pace with confusing names and too many alternating POVs that I just felt more and more confused.

Honestly, I’m really not sure why this book had such high ratings and had such rave reviews.  To be honest, I was not at all impressed.  I found the plot to be lacking, the characters all over the place since there wasn’t really an actual main character (I thought that perhaps it was the mother or the main doctor in the beginning, but they both essentially disappeared in the first quarter of the book), and the ending was just whatever.  I’m really curious to see what the other book club members will say about this book because if I’m the only person who didn’t like it at all, I will be shocked.  But then again, everyone in this book club has extremely different tastes in books so maybe I shouldn’t be too shocked.

All in all, if you can’t tell already, I didn’t enjoy this book at all. I was really struggling with it and it took me way longer to finish it than I had originally expected.  I mean, if you really enjoy these type of medical books then definitely pick this one up.  Otherwise, just pass it.  However, to be fair, I did find it interesting to see what the process was to donate an organ and to decide who gets the organ.  But that was the only bit.
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015