Friday, January 20, 2017

Strange Sweet Song by Adi Rule

Strange Sweet Song by Adi Rule
Published March 11, 2014
Summary on Goodreads
Review:
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. Part of me really disliked it because the pacing was so slow and Sing was so wishy washy as the main character.  However, the other part of me did enjoy the intrigue behind Felix, the magical tear, and the budding romance.  I’m not sure which part is more dominant right now but I’m sure that as I write this review, I’ll get a better sense of how I feel about this book.

Now where to start…let’s start with the pacing.  I actually contemplated about giving up the book because it was so freakishly slow.  Honestly, the entire book was slow.  Sometimes it’s just the beginning but once the action/meat of the story starts then it gets a little faster.  That was not the case for this one.  To be honest, the only time I was eagerly flipping through the pages was really the last 20-30 pages of the book when Daysmoor and Sing started to actually investigate their feelings for each other.  Other than that, I was just trotting along and hoping for the best.  I am actually quite proud of myself for finishing the book.

As for Sing, I really, really did not like her.  She had no substance and even Daysmoor pointed it out (which is why I was a little confused with the romance between the two).  She was constantly under her late mother’s shadow and her father was constantly pushing her to be better that she was lost under all that pressure.  And as a result, her character literally kept going back and forth between two extremes and it was to the point that she was conflicted herself.  Not to mention, her personality changed halfway through the book.  In the beginning, she was nice and considerate even though she was a bit shy as she started a new school.  However, somewhere in the middle, she got the notion that she needed to be a diva and became extremely haughty and rude.  And other than her family name, she didn’t have the right to be a diva.  Her singing was on and off at times – she certainly wasn’t amazing at it.  So I’m really not sure why she suddenly thought she had the right to steal the role from Lori (who, admittedly, is a complete bitch but still earned that spot with her own merits) whereas Sing used her father’s connection to kick Lori out.  Definitely not a character that I can respect and like. 

As for the magical aspect of the book, it was actually a little confusing in the beginning because some chapters would be from long ago as a flashback or something but you wouldn’t know until the end when everything finally comes together.  So I was very confused with the crow boy or the man who stumbled upon the Felix and got his wish granted.  It was all a little confusing but it was an interesting element to the book.  Without it, the book would have been a sliver of what it is now because god knows, just reading about Sing would have been terrible.  There was definitely a lot of “ah-ha” in the second half because I was finally understanding a lot of the side chapters in the beginning.

The relationship between Daysmoor and Sing was very strange.  There was no indication that either of them liked the other much other than Daysmoor occasional brooding glance.  So I was definitely more than a little surprised when Sing started to become interested in him and the relationship felt like it went from the negative to 100 within a few pages (the time when I was actually fascinated with the story).  And then there was that whole drama with the Maestro and Daysmoor.  I still can’t fully comprehend their relationship.  Why did the Maestro felt that it was his need to keep Daysmoor at the school and why did he feel this way?  Was he in love with him or something because it didn’t seem that way?  It was all a little confusing.

My conclusion is that this book is way too confusing.  After analyzing different portions of the book, I am left with more questions than answers.  The plot was slow, the characters lacked personality and charm, the magic was very confusing and the relationship between Sing and Daysmoor, while interesting, was a bit strange.  I’m not sure if I’ll recommend this one.
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015