Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Recap: 2016 Read Harder Challenge

So for those who have been following me since the beginning of the year, I've been attempting to accomplish the Read Harder Challenge.  I thought it would be incredibly simple since I read a shit ton but that was not the case.  The main problem was that I didn't allocate enough time for it throughout this past year and I was terrible at juggling between books I want to read, books I have a commitment for (book tours, etc.), and the books I chose for this challenge.


That being said, here are the stats:

Challenges I managed to complete:
2) Read a nonfiction book about science - Chasing the Scream: The First and Law Days of the War on Drugs by Johann Hari
3) Read a collection of essays - The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan
5) Read a middle grade novel - The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan
7) Read a dystopian or post-apocalyptic novel - End of Days by Susan Ee
8) Read a book that was originally published in the decade you were born - American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
10) Read a book over 500 pages long - Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon
11) Read a book under 100 pages - The Art of War by Sun Tzu
12) Read a book by or about a person that identifies as transgender - Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
13) Read a book that is set in the Middle East - The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
18) Read a book that was adapted into a movie, then watch the movie. Debate which is better - Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - this one was actually a half completed one since I didn't get a chance to watch the movie...

I finished 12 out of the 24 which isn't terrible in the grand scheme of things but if I'm going to put it as a grade, 50% is still a fail. 😞

Challenges I started but couldn't finish:
4) Read a book out loud to someone else - Every Heart A Doorway by Seanan McGuire - mainly because I was originally planning on reading it to my foster kittens but before I could get around to it, kitten season was over and I wasn't really fostering any anymore so...that was a fail.
6) Read a biography (not a memoir or an autobiography).Born Survivors: Three Young Mothers and Their Extraordinary Sense of Courage, Defiance and Hope by Wendy Holden - I actually tried really hard to finish this one.  I finished about a third of it but honestly, it was just too depressing for me to continue.  I had picked this one up around the election and with Trump winning and this book being so sad, I just couldn't.

So...that's that.  Let me know if you also attempted (or succeeded!) this challenge in the comments below.  I'm curious to see how everyone else did or if you chose another challenge entirely.  I'm definitely going to try to do better for the 2017 Read Harder Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015