Monday, January 9, 2017

Freeks by Amanda Hocking

Freeks by Amanda Hocking
Published January 3, 2017
Summary on Goodreads

Review:
I really liked this book but there was one thing that irked me to no end: the relationship and dynamic between Gabe and Mara.  By the way, these next few sentences have a lot of SPOILERS so skip this paragraph if you don’t want to be spoiled.  So the premise is this: the carnival is only there for a week (7 days) and Mara met Gabe the first night that they arrived.  Yet somehow by the third or fourth day (they met up roughly once a day), they were falling in love with each other?  And by the 6th day, they did the deed and finally, by the 7th, Gabe decided to join the carnival??  I mean, what kind of relationship is this?  How does one decide to change one’s entire future based on a girl he met literally a week ago?  This is one of the main reasons why sometimes I really dislike YA novels because the relationship are 99% NOT at all realistic.  I get that the book is full of people with supernatural abilities but that doesn’t change the fact that the way how they think and act is different from us regular people.  And the fact that Mara’s mom is okay with Gabe suddenly joining the carnival and not really worried is just strange to me.  I mean, I don’t know about you guys but if I brought a guy home and told them that he was moving in with me even though I just met him a week ago, my parents would be very, very concerned and most likely argue with me.  Anyways, enough ranting about their relationship.

Other than that, I really did like the book.  I found the mystery behind the creature intriguing and even though it was kind of obvious who was involved, the revealing of the identity of the creature did surprise me.  Not to mention, what actually happened after that.  Also it was crazy to think that Gideon was okay with continuing with the carnival even though a lot of attacks had occurred on his people.  I get that the situation was dire especially with the financial aspects but honestly, it didn’t feel like they were doing much other than setting up a buddy system and trying to be more cautious.  At the same time, they couldn’t really do anything since they were basically broke.  It was just a bad situation either way for them and that sucked. 

I really liked the secondary characters in the carnival – Luka, Roxie and Gabe’s sister even though she only made a few appearances.  I thought they definitely brought out the whole carnival situation out as well as enhancing Mara’s personality and character as a whole.  It was too bad about Blossom though.


The one thing I would say about this book though is that I definitely felt that the characters were a little too laissez faire about the whole situation.  If it was me, I would have freaked out long ago and booked it.  I guess they were just tougher than me LOL.  Overall, it was a good book.  There were definitely a few flaws – mainly the relationship between Mara and Gabe; however, if you overlook it, everything else seemed fine.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015