Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire
Published April 5, 2016
Summary on Goodreads
Review:
So I was supposed to read this book out loud as part of the 2016 Read Harder Challenge but since I had originally planned to read it out loud to my foster kittens and because I was no longer fostering kittens (due to it no longer being kitten season), I couldn’t complete this portion of the challenge.  However, I still decided to go ahead and read the book since it was on my TBR list anyways.  This was definitely an interesting book with strange logics and plenty of twists and turns.

The biggest confusion, for me, in this book was the whole Nonsense versus Logic aspect.  I mean, other than the obvious definitions from those words, I don’t really get it.  I get the people who came from Nonsense worlds because it’s very obvious that those worlds are Nonsense but the Logic worlds are strange.  Not to mention that there are sub-categories too.  And the world that Nancy came from – world of the dead – what does that fall into?  Certainly not Nonsense nor does it seem like Logic.  The one thing I would admit though is that the author certainly had a very vivid imagination.  Either that or she went into one of these worlds as well (LOL).

The characters were definitely interesting especially taken into the account that they all lived a portion of their lives in some fantasy world.  Which means that they are most definitely not your average kids.  Because of that, I felt that the interaction between the characters a little strange to me.  Some of them were very socially awkward especially those who grew up in some dead world (like Christopher who grew up in the world of Bones or something and could communicate with bones).  And others seemed like your average kids since there were still cliques and being popular and whatnot.  In other words, it was a strange dynamic.

The culprit to the mystery definitely threw me off – I was not at all expecting it to be that person.  Mainly because that person came off as normal and not at all crazy.  But I guess at the end of the day, everyone in that school was a little bit crazy since they all experienced something otherworldly and are trying to return to that world rather than stay in our average normal one.  So while the ending to the murder mystery threw me off, I wasn’t surprised at Nancy’s ending.  On one hand, I’m glad things worked out but on another hand, it’s a pity that that was the ending for her. 

Overall, it was an intriguing read.  I just realized that there will be a sequel (two actually) and will be published sometime this year.  Unfortunately I don’t think this book drew me in enough to want to pick up the other books.  However, if you’re interested in these fantasy/crazy worlds, definitely check this series out.  
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015