Monday, October 10, 2016

The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1) by Rick Riordan

The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1) by Rick Riordan
Published October 6, 2015
Summary on Goodreads
Buy here on Amazon

Review:
Can I first just say that I was shocked that Magnus Chase is Annabeth Chase’s cousin?  Like how does that even work?  Somehow one family has a demigod from the Greek side and also another demigod (is that what they’re called) from the Norse side.  I mean, what are the chances of this?  There must have been something crazy special with the Chase family for all these goddesses and gods to be attracted to them and provide offspring.  Putting that aside though, I was glad to see Annabeth make an appearance albeit a small one.  Just wondering if Percy will make an appearance and then it’ll be this awesome mashup with Greek vs Norse mythology.  

With that being said, clearly you can tell that I have read the Percy Jackson series and was a fan so I was quite excited to read a slightly spinoff series (only because of the Chase connection, really) with Norse mythology.  Greek mythology still has my heart but recently I’ve been reading a lot of books that are Norse related so a lot of terminology and names were pretty familiar.

The one thing I can say about Rick’s writing is that it is always consistent which is probably why he tends to write books like these for a specific target of audience.  Not to mention that his books are all kind of similar specifically the backbone of the series.  There’s always the guy who is either an outcast or misunderstood or is just labeled as a troubled kid who then discovers his lineage in a not so great way with it being usually some sort of monster coming in at that moment to try to kill him and then he gets thrust into a whole crazy alternate world where he then discovers he is the key in trying to keeping the world from coming apart.  Wow that’s a mouthful but that’s usually the gist of his stories and so far they’ve been working pretty well because I still find the books to be incredibly entertaining and hilarious.  And the humor in his books is more like the stupid funny ones where it’s so bad that it’s funny.  If that makes any sense whatsoever.


Now on to the actual important part of the book – Magnus Chase.   Again I’m going to compare with him and Percy mainly because they’re so similar yet so different.  Percy was more of a “oh shit, what do I do now” kind of guy whereas Magnus was that as well sometimes but was more mentally tough due to the fact that he lived on the streets for two years.  I also loved his snarky/sarcastic attitude mainly because I can relate to that so well.  As of right now, I would say that his character is semi-developed simply because there were way too much action going on that I don’t think Rick really got a chance to focus on developing and honing Magnus’ personality and character as a whole.  I’m definitely interested to see how things will pan out with Magnus and the whole Ragnarok situation though.

The side characters are also amazing – shout outs to Sam who I’m pretty sure is like Annabeth’s counter character, Blitzen with his amazing fashion and Hearthstone who somehow pulls off magic only when it is absolutely necessary.  I really liked the interaction between all of them specifically between Sam and Magnus even though I know there won’t be any romance between the two unless Sam changes her mind about that other guy.

Overall, great book and I can’t wait for the next book to come out.  Actually I think it just came out so I will need to find that book soon.
Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015