Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1) by Amie Kaufman

Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1) by Amie Kaufman
Published November 1, 2015
Summary on Goodreads
Buy on Amazon

Review:
I am very conflicted with this book, to be quite honest.  While there were multiple things that I enjoyed, there were also quite a number of things that I wish either occurred or was explained a little more thoroughly.

Let’s start with what I really enjoyed: the layout.  I found this way of writing was incredibly unique with the text made up of IMs, emails, surveillance cameras, and even the AI’s own conscious.  It was definitely a very good way of getting different people’s perspective and their version of what happened because, let’s be frank, a shit ton was happening in this book.  Right from the very beginning, there was a ton of action from escaping the planet due to corporations bombing the place to being pursued by said corporations in outer space to the AI going on some psychotic melt down to some crazy virus killing everyone.  So, definitely, this unique way of laying it out there for the readers was a great way to understand the whole picture.

However, at the same time, because there were just so much going on from all different sources, I never really felt connected with anyone in particular.  Not even with Ezra or Kady, the two supposed protagonists.  Yes, their communications with each other and to other people were definitely the most prominent but I just didn’t get the same sense of understanding them as opposed to your typical first person POV or third person POV.  So this was something I didn’t really enjoy or dislike. 

Another thing I wish occurred was the explanation of the virus.  I think because there were just so much action going on, the actual virus wasn’t discussed much other than the symptoms which was just getting sick with shivers and whatnot and not getting better or how it was spread via air.  However, it didn’t really discuss as to why those who were infected would pursue those who weren’t and try to kill them. I mean, if it was a zombie virus, I can at least understand why but from what I understood, those infected weren’t trying to eat the normal people.  Not to mention, when the virus was first introduced on Copernicus, there was no mention about the infected attacking the uninfected or that they were not of sound mind.  In fact, it seemed as if they still had cognitive functions and that was still displayed at the end when they were trying to communicate with Kady but in a threatening way, of course.  I just wish this was explained a lot more since it basically played a major part in the overall plot.

One thing I did enjoy was the suspense and the plot twists.  For a while there, I really believed that a certain person was gone but at the same time, I couldn’t believe it because I thought they were quite important.  And that ending was a bit crazy.  I certainly wasn’t expecting a certain person to make an appearance and now I’m really curious as to why this person is important and how he or she plays into the larger picture.  Spoiler alert: I’m not referring to Kady or Ezra. 

So, yes, even though there were a few things I enjoyed, there were also a few that I didn’t enjoy so much but I’m hoping that the next book in the series (is this a trilogy? I was under the impression that it was but then I checked Goodreads and it didn’t say…) will explain a lot more.  Unfortunately it doesn’t seem that I will be getting a more in-depth character building for Kady or Ezra because apparently the second book follows two new characters.  Well, bottoms up!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015