Monday, September 26, 2016

Romancing the Dark in the City of Light by Ann Jacobus

Romancing the Dark in the City of Light by Ann Jacobus
Published October 6, 2015

Review:
This book teetered more on the “vague, abstract” concept but it wasn’t really obvious until the last few chapters and then I was like “oohhhhh, that makes so much more sense now.”

I wasn’t a huge fan of the protagonist, Summer.  I found her spoiled, irresponsible, and somewhat lazy.  I mean, she had this huge fortune waiting for her and literally all she needed to do was graduate yet somehow that was taking forever for her and she kept flunking out or getting kicked out.  It literally mind-boggled me.  She didn’t even seem to try very hard – I mean, she didn’t even go to class half the time and was almost always wasted.  She had a serious alcohol problem and no one, I mean literally no one, seemed to be aware of that fact until Moony came along.  I just wasn’t really sure what drove her to drink so much either since in the beginning, I thought maybe it was because of her father but I think she was around 6 when that happened yet she didn’t start drinking heavily until middle school, I think.  She was just simply a character I could not connect with and half of her choices, I couldn’t fathom.

As for Moony, I couldn’t understand his interest with Summer or vice versa, to be honest.  His outer appearance wasn’t really mentioned in detail other than the fact that he was Middle-Eastern looking and very good looking despite his handicaps.  I mean, his personality is great – he’s kind, caring and super responsible which is why I don’t get the attraction between the two.  Summer is literally a mess – an alcoholic, struggling with getting her shit together half the time, and wasting her life away.  But I’m glad he was the reason why she decided to try to change for the better.

Okay, the last person to discuss is Kurt who is the ambiguity in this book.  I always thought he was a creeper and when his true reason and his true identity was revealed, I was like WTF that is crazy.  However, once that was made known, a lot of things started to make sense.  At the same time though, his whole character was just very dark in nature and a little sinister.  I wasn’t sure what Summer saw in him either especially to hang around with for so long.  He was just such a negative person to be around with.


Overall, I can’t say I enjoyed the book too much since there were a lot of serious topics that were discussed – drugs, alcoholism, rape, etc. – that I just felt that as I was reading the book, my mood went down as well.  It simply wasn’t a very happy book.  At least the ending was pretty positive so that was good – ending things on a high note.  And I was really glad that Summer changed for the better – it did wonders for both her and her relationship with her mother.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015