Friday, August 12, 2016

Roses and Bones: Myths, Tales, and Secrets by Francesca Lia Block

Roses and Bones: Myths, Tales and Secrets by Francesca Lia Block
Published December 21, 2010

Review:
There was a person on Goodreads who basically stated that this book is for “people who can stand cryptic storytelling” and that is so true for this one.  A lot of the stories were very strange and abstract and I never really understood what was going on until the end.  Of course, there were a few short stories that were quite obvious so I immediately was on board with the plot.  However, overall, I only describe this book as “strange” and very “weird”. 

The short story itself wasn’t a problem and I was fine reading it but I noticed that in the first half of the book, apparently a lot of the characters were the same person but under a different name?  It was very odd, to say the least.  I’m not sure what the purpose was in having the same person basically go along different aspects of his or her life with a different name yet you see the resemblance or the connection between the mythology and Francesca’s retelling. 

It wasn’t until the end of her mythology retelling where I finally understood what exactly was going on with the plot.  I actually contemplated about putting this book down so many times but because the stories are so short and because there were a few segments in poetry form rather than prose, it went by very quickly so I figured, why not finish it.  I can’t say if it was a good idea for me to read it because I didn’t really get anything out of it other than confusion.

Another thing I didn’t really get were the second half when she decided to do a bunch of mini fairy tale retellings.  Some of them were very obvious and some were very abstract.  Some had a happy ending and others were quite sad.  There was no consistency to the whole thing. 


To be honest, I’m not sure what the whole point to these retellings were.  The first half was just confusing as hell and all the females were apparently the same person or whatever.  The second half was just as strange.  At the end of the day, I’m not exactly sure what I read here.  Like the Goodreads reviewer, I would probably also recommend this book to those who enjoy obscure and confusing retellings of otherwise famous mythologies and fairy tales.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015