Friday, July 29, 2016

The Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter

The Kneebone Boy by Ellen Potter
Published September 14, 2010

Review:
If I had to pick one word to describe this book, it would be funky.  And maybe quirky.  So I picked two words, whatever.  Point is, this book was definitely funky and super quirky.  It’s not a typical book.  The way how the author wrote it made it seem as she was narrating it and would converse with the readers as well with random side comments about a certain situation.  It was definitely very different.  I don’t know if I particularly liked that style but I could see the benefits of writing that way.  There were a lot of times when the author was simply like “and then they did this but it was so difficult for everyone so let’s just not talk about it anymore.” And because in doing that, she saved words and effort in creating what exactly happened and saved herself time in writing it.  At the same time though, if you’re one of those super curious people (I’m only curious at certain times), then this would be difficult because then you’ll be like “wait, so what exactly happened?  Can you go into detail here?”

The three main characters – Otto, Lucia and Max – were certainly odd.  Also, I want to point out that Otto’s name is pretty unique.  Even Lucia’s name is pretty unique.  How did Max become Max?  It was like the parents just gave up on finding a unique name for him too and just settled for something super mundane.  Anyways, they were all super weird, to be honest.  Otto with his quietness and his peculiarities such as the scarf thing.  Lucia was way too direct and honest for her own good.  She was also incredibly bossy and even though they were all brothers and sisters, apparently she and Max had this tension thing going on until they went through this certain ordeal and realized that neither of them are too bad.  I found Max to be very bright.  Somehow he knew what was going on and was able to figure things out before the other two did. 

The ending was super weird.  First of all, it was a huge plot twist. Did NOT see that one coming at all and once it was revealed, I had a lot of questions.  Such as “how did none of them realize who that person really was? How did they not even know what gender that person was, first of all?  What did their father do when he was really at that place and why lie to them the entire time?”  There were simply a lot of questions that the author never really went into which was disappointing. 


Overall, I would not recommend this book only because it really wasn’t my cup of tea.  I do like quirky books but I think this was a little out of my league.  Plus it’s more geared towards MG rather than YA.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015