Friday, July 15, 2016

Goddess Test Series by Aimee Carter

Goddess Test Series by Aimee Carter
Published between 2011-2013

Review:
I’m a bit biased with this series mainly because I love Greek mythology so any kinds of retellings or whatever, I’m usually a fan and this one was no exception. 

I wasn’t particularly fond of Kate especially in the last book where she kept making mistakes after mistakes that not only threatened herself but her family and the rest of the council.  And the most frustrating thing was the fact that she kept trying to do “the right thing” without consulting anyone and then when it backfires in her face, she cries about it.  It was a little sad to see how her character developed because I did like her in the first book and even in the second one, she was okay as well.  I feel like after giving birth, she became a blubbering mess or something and couldn’t think logically.  I remember there was one scene in the second book where she seemed incredibly selfish and she was basically telling Hades “I just want you to love me”.  Like, hello, you can’t force someone to love you.  I feel like she didn’t really get it and she was throwing a fit because he didn’t actively show her his love for her.

As for the rest of the council, there were times when I forgot that they were all thousands of years old because the way how they act seem like such petty mortals.  They fight, have jealous spats, get pissed and are basically just normal people except for the fact that they have powers and live forever.  It wasn’t really until the last book and book 2.5 where I really got the sense that they were so old.  For the most part, they didn’t seem particularly mature nor wise. 

I actually really liked book 2.5, The Goddess Legacy because it really showed some of their true selves and the history.  While I still didn’t like Hera, or Calliope, after reading her little short story, I was able to at least understand her a little better.  I still didn’t approve of her choices but I could at least understand what pushed her to the edge and caused her to make the decisions she did.  As for Aphrodite’s story, well, I thought she was a bit selfish and immature.  Though, to be fair, I think she never really grew out of it until the really end when she sacrificed everything and faced the wrath and hatred of her friends for an attempt to save everyone.  The one story I wish had more to it was Hades’ story.  I thought it was too short and I wished there was a little bit more about his perspective after Kate arrived in his life at Eden Manor. 

The ending was quite sad but everything could have been concluded earlier if only a certain person had made the right decision rather than arrive after a death occurred.  At the end of the day, these deities are just selfish and only care about themselves.  Even Rhea, the Titan, who is supposedly all about love and whatnot and was the only person on the same level as Cronus but refused to help because she’s against violence.  She chose instead to stay with those kids in Africa to help them.  Did she not realize that Cronus escaping meant death to everyone? Including those precious children from Africa?  Did she not realize that if he escapes, who is she supposed to help instead?  I felt like the logic with these ridiculous deities was nonexistent and incredibly frustrating.  However, at the same time, I guess that’s the difference between a mere mortal (aka me) versus a god or goddess, right?


Overall, I did enjoy the series even though there were a few character I didn’t particularly like (ahem Kate and Calliope).  However, I did enjoy others like Hermes (he was hilarious!) and even Aphrodite at times.  I would recommend this series if someone is down for a relatively good retelling or for an interesting twist.

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I never heard of this series before, but now I'm intrigued! I think I am going to read it now. I also absolutely love Greek mythology. I'm just a LITTLE bit obsessed. Also I love your blog!! Your reviews are so good and straight to the point. I would really appreciate it if you checked out my blog too! Here's the link. http://larkandlily.blogspot.com/ It would mean so much to me if you checked it out!! Also keep up the good work! -Lark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lark! Thanks for the fabulous comment - I'll definitely check out your blog as well. :)

      Delete

Holed Up In A Book © 2015