Monday, June 27, 2016

The Weight of Feathers by Anna-Marie McLemore

The Weight of Feathers by Anna-Marie McLemore
Published September 15, 2015

Review:
This book reminded me of Romeo and Juliet with a weird paranormal twist.  Mostly I have mixed feelings about this book.  I didn’t not like it but I didn’t particularly like it either.  There were a lot of things that didn’t seem to make sense or the author didn’t either explain enough or didn’t explain at all.  I wish she clarified a lot more things.  For example, the whole scales and feathers thing.  Was it a deformity that the Corbeaus grew feathers in their hair or the Palomas had these fish scales on their skin?  Or maybe it was a metaphor for something else – if so, I totally did not get it.  What started the whole animosity thing between the two families?  I understand the whole Tia and grand-pere thing but it must have started before that right?  I just felt that there were a lot of unanswered questions.

I also wish the relationship between Lace and Cluck was more believable.  It started off well – when Lace saved him from her cousins or when he saved her from the “catastrophe” but then it went downhill from there.  I understood why Lace went to Cluck after the whole ordeal but I don’t understand what spurned their relationship.  I didn’t feel any sort of chemistry between the two and then suddenly they were kissing each other.  It just felt odd and forced.

Also, the “catastrophe” was so strange.  Maybe I’m just ignorant but I have never heard of rain burning through clothes and thereby burning skin.  Where did the author come up with such an idea?  I was expecting some great natural disaster but when I got to this part, I was, to be honest, a little disappointed.  I guess I was just expecting something grander.


I can’t say I was particularly fond of the book because the characters and the plot just seemed to lackluster.  The ending wasn’t very satisfying either.  I don’t think I will recommend this book.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015