Monday, June 13, 2016

Pulse by Kailin Gow

Pulse by Kailin Gow
Published August 31, 2010

Review:
This was another book where the audiobook made a havoc on it.  A book with about 300 pages usually takes about 6+ hours to read.  This book had over 200 pages yet only took 3 hours to read it.  How is that possible?  It should’ve taken at least 4 hours to finish it.  So you can kind of tell what kind of pace the reader set when she started the book.  It felt like everything was very rushed and I wasn’t able to enjoy it as much.  Plus, for most of the book, I was worried that the audiobook was incomplete and I didn’t manage to get the entire book.  Needless to say, it was the entire book and the reader just read way too fast.

Also, can I say, this book is basically a shittier version of The Vampire Diaries?  No joke.  It had the human girl who somehow stumbled upon two vampire brothers.  One was the “good” one who strived his best to help humanity and push down his vampiric side.  The other was the ultimate “bad boy” who took as he wanted and when he wanted.  Sound familiar?  Hmm, hello alternate Stefan and Damon.  One of the main reason why it’s considered to me as the shittier version is mainly due to the fact that all of the characters in this book seemed a lot more immature and clearly not as smart.  The brothers would argue about the stupidest thing and then get them all in trouble.  I’m glad to say that while it took me a long time to find this book and this series have been on my TBR list for quite some time, I’m glad that now that I finished the first one, I will most definitely not look for the rest of the series.  I don’t have that kind of time to read another version of The Vampire Diaries. 

I’m also not a huge fan of Kalina (did anyone else think that even her name sounds like Elena?) mainly because I hated how wishy washy she was.  She met the brothers for like 5 mins and suddenly she’s making out with one of them and suddenly they are now an official couple.  Please note that all of this literally took 5 mins (or 5 days but still).  Not to mention, she would still feel these vibes with the other brother even though she’s technically “with” the other one.  I don’t know, it just felt like a mess and she clearly didn’t know what she wanted. 

The brothers were no help as well.  The way they went about in trying to “get” her felt primitive even though none of them were around in the cavemen ear.  Not to mention, both of them had plenty of women before yet after knowing Kalina for 5 mins, they were in love with her and she was “unlike any other women.” Yea, okay. 


Overall, terrible, terrible book.  It was just such a huge rip off from Vampire Diaries and everything felt incredibly rushed and fake.  I’ve liked her other novels so I’m incredibly disappointed with this one.  

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015