Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Emily's Guest Post Series #5

List things that help to inspire your writing

Everyday moods (mostly the crappy ones) 
Nothing gets the pen moving faster than a rant. This probably explains partially why there are so many sad/angry/sarcastic pieces about the world out there. The act of writing is to help the author help the reader understand the confusing facets of the world sometimes. 

Boredom 
I usually need to be doing something. Perhaps it's my age (I am 25) but I don't do well idle. I am not an athlete or a fidget but I desperately crave intellectual simulation. Writing, to me, is a puzzle - it keeps my brain working through the mazes of grammar and diction and keeps the struggle immediate in controlling the suspense of the story. 

Heartbreak 
Lord Byron and Olivier Wilde can back me on this one. I actually don't find much solace in writing immediately after such a somber event, choosing instead to mask behind an air of ambivalence for the first few days while secretly chugging ice cream at midnight. Soon after, I write. 

Good Stories 
The importance of reading for a writer cannot be overstated. Fluidity of ideas and the ability to transfer it onto paper is as much a mindset as it is a skill. Great writing can trigger a string of pieces from me. Great writing stems from knowing how to ask and present the right questions. A natural aftereffect of reading an influential piece is then to ask the same questions yourself and try to answer them. 

Morality 
While my writings are never exclusively about dwelling on the rites of good vs. evil, most of my writing focuses on the duty of morality and how it promotes or impedes progress. I am a writer of two extreme genres (humor and drama) and you'll find it hard to avoid the issue of right and wrong in either. 

Intuition 
I don't encourage promoting the aura of the writer mystique and the speculation of how a writer must have a stroke of inspiration to turn out a 300 page novel. The major force behind being a creative is to be consistent with it and PRACTICE (yes, there is hours on toll of hard work involved). However, the clearest understanding of getting at why writers write is that moments of eureka do happen and those ideas are irreplaceable. However, the moment must be matched with motivation. 

Motivation 
Writing is an action and is as mundane of a daily routine as driving a car. To drive a car, you need to decide on step on pedals to direct your car in order. The same goes with writing. You just need to pick up a pen or get to your laptop and start. 

Sincerely,
Emily Gong

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015