Monday, June 20, 2016

A Girl's Guide to Vampires by Katie MacAlister

A Girl's Guide to Vampires by Katie MacAlister
Published October 28, 2003

Review:
I was quite excited for this book because I’m such a sucker for paranormal romances (like almost every other female out there these days) but I was sorely disappointed with this one.  It wasn’t terrible but it just didn’t grab my attention.  It was very slow and a lot of the “action” didn’t make much sense to me.  I also didn’t really understand the attraction between Joy and Raphael.  And then I realized that there are 10 books but with different characters each time.  I don’t think I’m ready to read another 10+ book series with new characters/couples in each book.  I much prefer books to follow one couple so the readers can grow and fall in love with all of the characters. So, I pretty much gave up on the series after this one.  Though I did start to read the second one but didn’t really enjoy it so I gave it up after a few chapters in.

Truthfully, this wasn’t a terrible book but it just didn’t hold my attention long enough for me to want to read the rest of the series.  Plus, I don’t think the author did a very good job in describing what exactly a Dark One was because it was very confusing.  There are a lot of steps to become a Dark One’s ‘beloved’ and apparently only males can be Dark Ones?  Isn’t that a little sexist?  It was also extremely strange because out of the entire book, only one person was an actual “Dark One”.  And it wasn’t even the main male character.  I mean, if I want to read a paranormal romance, the least an author can do is to have one person be supernatural – either the female or male – but both were completely 100% human.  It was a tad bit disappointing.

I was also not a fan of the secondary characters.  Roxanne, or Roxy, Joy’s best friend, was always bickering with each other.  It was a little annoying to hear them bicker and fight over the most mundane thing.  Plus the bickering literally never stopped.  After a little while, their interactions started to grate on my nerves.  The other characters, Tanya, Amelia (not exactly sure how to spell her name since I was listening to the audiobook), and others, were also incredibly annoying.  I didn’t understand the animosity between Tanya and Joy (though, the animosity was mostly from Tanya).  It felt like it came out of nowhere and it caused a lot of random drama in the book that literally made no sense.  Amelia was nice but there was no substance to her character.  The villains of this book was also not a surprise – what surprised me was the fact that it was so cliché. 


Overall, this book is the start of a not-so-interesting series which is why I wouldn’t be picking them up any time soon.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015