Monday, May 23, 2016

Of Scions and Men by Courtney Sloan

Of Scions and Men by Courtney Sloan
Published February 22, 2016

Review:
I actually really liked this book partially because I’m a sucker for these vampire romance novels, partially because I found Devon to be attractive and partially because I found the whole scion thing to be an interesting take on an otherwise overdone genre.  Plus, the fact that this is a dystopian novel with the vampires as a ruling government is also very unique and I thought that the author did a good job in world building and character growing.

While I found Rowan to be a tad rude and somewhat intense, I did like her as an overall character.  I respected her decision to be a scion for her brother but there were times when I found her to be incredibly overprotective that almost border-lined to obsession.  I also respected her reasoning as to why she would not move in with Devon to be like what others typically think about scions – she had her pride and she held on to that with a firm hand.  Despite the fact that she’s so independent and confident about herself, I did find her at times to be vulnerable which made her more relatable.  This was especially true with her relationship with Devon – because they had that scion bond, they were able to understand each other on a deeper level (i.e. mind-reading and telepathy) so when she overhears Devon talking about her, she would become so insecure and vulnerable.  I actually found her insecurity with Devon to be unreasonable and illogical – if Devon truly thought of her a certain way and since he obviously knew she can overhear him at times, wouldn’t he do a better job at hiding it?

Anyways, moving on to Devon – I really liked him.  He was clearly protective of Rowan and also clearly cared for her brother even though, as a vampire in that vampire-dominated dystopian world, he didn’t need to.  He also never forced Rowan to do anything she didn’t want to do specifically moving in with him because he didn’t want to pressure her.  I thought Rowan was super lucky to be paired with him because he seemed like a decent vampire compared to some of the other vampires in the book.

I also found the plot to be suspenseful and action-packed which is exactly how I like it. There was never really a dull moment since there were a ton of things going on.  I was a little surprised towards the end about who the villain really was since he/she was just so unsuspecting in the beginning.  It’s always good to be surprised in a book – if it’s too ordinary and too straightforward, it’ll be too boring otherwise.


Overall, great first book in a series.  I’m looking forward to the second book.  Hopefully the wait won’t be too long…

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015