Monday, April 11, 2016

Raised by Wolves (#2-3) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Raised by Wolves (#2-3) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Published 2011-2012

Review:
I enjoyed the first book when it came out a few years back and since the rest of the series weren’t out yet, I’ve left them on my TBR list for quite some time.  Now that I finally got the chance to read book 2 and 3, I realized that I should have reread the first book because there were a lot of things in book 1 that laid out the foundation and background.  Obviously it’s been years since I read the first one that now when I went to read the rest of the series, I realized there were a number of things I was missing out on.  I really need to stop doing this to myself – reading the first book then waiting years to get back to the rest of the series.  I always end up being semi-confused for at least half of the book I pick up next.

That being said, I did enjoy the series and while I wasn’t a fan of the ending, it was realistic and it made a lot of sense to me.  I just wish things could have been for the better but at least Bryn managed to get rid of someone who had been plaguing not just her but all female Weres in the US.  I did find her a little dumb at times but I do have to give her credit for being able to earn the respect of the Weres in her pack despite the fact that she’s human and is weak compared to them.  I still thought her train of thought to be quite slow which is why she is always outmaneuvered by Shay until she finally used her brain to get around him.  Unfortunately she did that a little too late and there were casualties. 

I really like Chase and Devon and was actually rooting for Devon and Bryn instead of Chase and Bryn.  The romance between them was so subtle that it was easily overlooked.  It wasn’t until Shay pointed out the fact that Chase was Bryn’s mate that it became clear to me that they were actually together.  I wish the relationship between the two was a little clearer instead of muddled and implied.  And when both of them leave Bryn’s life at the really end of the series, I was sad.  She no longer had a mate or a would-be mate anymore.  I think this is one of the few series where the female main character doesn’t end up with the guy.  I guess that makes it unique…but still. 


Overall, I liked the action in the books.  I especially liked Caroline just because she’s so badass and a trained killer.  Lake was also a badass female as well.  I think Bryn was the least interesting character in the book, to be honest.  The side characters shined past her.  If you’re interested in reading about a different take on werewolves and magic, give this series a spin.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015