Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The Royal We by Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan

The Royal We by Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan
Published April 7, 2015

Review:
So all of my book club friends were practically in love with this book so, of course, I had to pick it up.  After reading the book, I have to say, I definitely enjoyed it though I’m not sure if I’m in love with it.  The concept is what the every-day girl dreams of – finding true love and marrying a prince.  In this case, the male was an actual prince.

For those who aren’t aware, this book essentially follows the fictional version of the real-life Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, who married Prince William a few years ago.  However, in the fictional version, Rebecca Porter is American who is from Midwest America.  Not even close to being English at all.  And the prince is called Prince Nick and he seems so much hotter than Prince William.  To be perfectly honest, I don’t find Prince William attractive whatsoever.  Neither is Prince Harry…but the fictional Prince Freddie also seems quite attractive.

Anyways, other than the fact that I don’t find the real Princes attractive, I did enjoy the characters in this book.  Rebecca was particularly interesting in the beginning and I really liked her attitude but once she got involved with Nick, I felt like she was losing herself and her father knew that (I really liked the father in this book – he’s so down to earth and honest and he genuinely wants what’s best for his girls even though the boy is royalty).  And once she herself realized that she was losing herself, she tried to change but I don’t think she really succeeded.  She lost herself even more after they broke up and went on this alcohol/sex binge that was documented pretty much by all of European’s paparazzi.  However, I think by the end of book, once they started their relationship anew and once she realized that she would only love Nick and no one else, I think she came to terms and started to work things out within herself.

Nick was also great in the beginning – I really liked his Oxford self but I think he was a wimp.  Understandably, he grew up with the fear of someone becoming like his mother – secluded and mad from the publicity of the press; however, I don’t think that completely rationalized his fear for Rebecca especially after their relationship were publicized.  Instead, he refused to be seen with her publicly, withdrew further away emotionally, didn’t really help her to cope with the ongoing onslaught of the press, and even decided to be seen out in the public with his ex who is more suitable for a royal prince.  That is just such an asshole thing to do.  But I guess he did grow up a few years later and once he did, he realized that his love for Rebeca is the real deal and it was either her or no one else.

The other characters were also great.  I especially loved Freddie.  He just brought so much humor to the book and made the royal family so much more real in the reader’s eyes.  Rather than being a foreign concept, he honestly brought a lot of life to the book.  I was most definitely not a fan of Lacey, Rebecca’s twin.  I thought she was spoiled, immature and needy.  She only thought of herself, made a fool of herself in public and wanted to use Rebecca’s royal connections to get out of trouble, wanted to use Rebecca to further herself because she herself gave up a good medical career to be seen in the public with the royal family, and was basically just a nuisance overall.  At least she somewhat redeemed herself at the end with the whole Clive situation. 


Overall, I definitely enjoyed the plot.  I thought there were a lot of details that made the book seem so much more realistic.  The characters were also well developed.  I actually looked up the backstory of Kate Middleton to get a sense of how closely aligned this book was to her real life.  My verdict: only 50% true.  The rest is completely made up.  But I definitely still enjoyed it.  Now I just need to find my own real life prince…

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015