Friday, March 18, 2016

Kiss, Date, Love, Hate by Luisa Plaja

Kiss, Date, Love, Hate by Luisa Plaja
Published February 2, 2012

Review:
I’m really glad I read this book via an audiobook because the reader had a British accent which made the book seem a little more believable than if I was picturing the accents in my head.  I’m pretty sure after this book, there would be incidences where I would find myself speaking in a slight British accent.  It’s like brainwashing or something.

Kiss, Date, Love, Hate is a cute book.  It’s a short read and can be considered as a beach read since it’s so lighthearted.  The plot is pretty straightforward – girl broke up with ex, still had feelings for him but kind of liked someone else too, best friend finds game that causes things to become real, girl uses game to fix her relationship with ex, realizes that she’s not into ex but with someone else, etc.  There’s really not much too it, to be honest.

Lex is an interesting character – she was sarcastic, funny and smart.  I was actually shocked when her disability was made known towards the end.  I didn’t even realize that she had a disability.  I knew she was in some sort of special class but I didn’t realize that it was a special class for kids with disabilities.  I assumed it was a class where kids were smarter and needed something extra.  The fact that she (and the author, of course) managed to hide that for the entire book was crazy.  Even though overall I liked Lex, there were times I found her annoying.  The way how she kept complaining about things and didn’t know who she actually wanted was annoying.  At the same time, she’s only 15 or 16 so I guess that’s common for girls her age.  It’s been a long time since I’ve been that age so I don’t quite recall what I was like during that age haha.

I actually quite liked the romance in the plot.  Not the one with Lex and her ex.  That was obviously a no-go which she couldn’t see until literally the last chapter or two.  And then she realized that he wasn’t the one for her and that it was actually someone else.  That someone else was the one I appreciated it and liked.  Even though he was considered as a “bad boy” in Lex’s own eyes, he was sweet and caring.  I think he’s too good for Lex though.


Overall, it was a cute book.  Nothing too special about it.  If you’re looking for a short beach read then this might be it.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015