Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon

Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon
Published June 10, 2014

Review:
This was the final book that is out to date and I’m glad I’m finally done rereading the whole series as well as getting the chance to catch up with this last book.  By that point though, to be perfectly honest, I was a little tired of reading this series – each book was ridiculously long and there is just so much stuff going on on every single page.  There was actually a part in the book where I got distracted and honestly a little bored which is why it took me almost a whole month just to simply read one book.  But then I reached a part that was interesting again and it was easy to finish the last 300 or so pages.

Once again, the split between the 1700s and the 1900s with Claire and Jamie facing the American Revolution and Brianna and Roger facing dire situations in the modern world.  It was interesting to see the differences between the two worlds but at the same time, there was little difference between the two.  It was especially interesting to read about Jem, Brianna’s son, and how he was thrust from the 1700s to the 1900s in an instant and had to learn about the modern world without telling anyone that he came from the 1700s.  To be perfectly honest, I think Jem is my favorite child character – he seems so mature for his age and I love it.  Germain would be a second contender – his French quirks and responsibility as the “man of the house” is so incredibly endearing.

The one thing that kind of weirded me out throughout this entire book is the fact that Claire and Jamie are around late 50s or maybe even early 60s yet they’re still having passionate sex.  I thought by that age, men can’t keep it up and therefore the sex life would have waned but no, somehow Jamie is still spry in that area.  And the fact that they are now grandparents and have been for almost 10 years and are still frolicking in bed just makes me cringe.  I just can’t simply imagine my grandparents going at it.  UGH.  But at the same time, I think it’s sweet that they’re still as passionate for each other as the day they met almost 30-40 years ago. 


I can’t really say too much simply because there is just so much to say that to write a very thorough review would be both full of spoilers and too much work.  So I’ll just say there was just so much action, excitement and heartache as multiple accidents occurred in this book.  Also, the last paragraph of the book is such a huge cliffhanger, I was so angry that the next book doesn’t even have a publication date.  It’s been almost two years so hopefully something comes out soon.  Because I need. Wait.  So I just looked at her previous books and publication dates and it’s an average of 4-5 years between each book…basically, I need to wait another 2 years or so.  SIGH.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015