Monday, February 8, 2016

Sharks and Boys by Kristen Tracy

Sharks and Boys by Kristen Tracy
Published June 28, 2011

Review:
Honestly, I wasn’t sure what this book was about. I figured it would have something to do with sharks and boys and with the cover looking so summery and innocent, I was in for a surprise when I was a quarter thru.

I was not a fan of Enid in the beginning whatsoever.  I found her absolutely annoying and insecure.  I hate insecure people who go out of their way to make their insecurity known by controlling those around them.  That’s a personality trait that I have no interest in at all.  And, my god, Enid was insecure.  She was the jealous type and controlling type because of her insecurity.  She told her boyfriend, Wick, what he could and cannot do.  Okay, I completely understand jealously and being afraid that your boyfriend is cheating on you but telling him that he couldn’t got to a party on the off chance that that girl might be there is complete and utter nonsense.  So when he told her he wanted space and they should go on a break, I was all for that.  And then, of course, Enid being her insecure and controlling self, decided to follow him.  Basically, she became a stalker.  That being said, I did not like her one bit.

But I did think she changed and matured during their survival incident.  She had a lot of time to digest certain news and she realized that even though sometimes she didn’t like where her life was heading or if the people around her disappointed her, at the end of the day, it’s all just life.  As much as she wants to control every aspect around her, she can’t.  And the boat accident allowed her to realize that some things just can’t be controlled.  During the second half of the book, she became a lot more bearable and while I can’t say I grew to like her, I grew to at least understand her a little more.
The boys around her – Dale, Wick, Landon, Manny, Sov, Burr and Skate – during the accident were like her brothers because they were all so close to one another.  Plus, they were all twins.  How crazy is that?  I was devastated when two of the boys perished. 

The plot was extremely intense.  It was all about survival and how to get along with everyone in such a tiny raft clinging to life.  There were a few parts that, to me, didn’t make a lot of sense.  For example, the amount of weight they lost in just 3 days.  Granted, they didn’t eat and didn’t drink anything but how did they go from normal kids to basically skin and bones?  Pretty sure if I didn’t eat or drink anything for three days, I would not lose that much weight.  At the same time, though, the situation they were in was a lot more dire than a situation I will be in if I simply didn’t eat or drink for three days.  So who knows?


Overall, very intense book.  There were a lot of topics touched upon in here – survival, depression, adultery, dysfunctional family, insecurity, etc.  I just wish that the ending was a little thorough.  Once they were saved, the book ended.  There was no mention of the result between Wick and Enid, no mention about the dead boys’ family, etc.  Otherwise, pretty good book.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015