Saturday, January 2, 2016

2016 NYPL Read Harder Challenge

I haven't been doing my best at following my 2015 reading challenges (other than the # of books I had challenged myself to read) so hopefully 2016 will be better.  With that being said, I found out there is a 2016 NYPL Read Harder Challenge.

I'm going to make it easier for myself and pick out the books I want to read so I can simply pick it up later rather than going back at the end of 2016 and wondering which ones did I complete.

Here are the challenges:
1) Read a horror book.  
2) Read a nonfiction book about science.
3) Read a collection of essays.
4) Read a book out loud to someone else.
5) Read a middle grade novel.
6) Read a biography (not a memoir or an autobiography).
8) Read a book that was originally published in the decade you were born.
9) Listen to an audiobook that has won an Audie Award.
10) Read a book over 500 pages long.
11) Read a book under 100 pages.
12) Read a book by or about a person that identifies as transgender.
13) Read a book that is set in the Middle East.
14) Read a book that is by an author from Southeast Asia.
  • The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (I actually don't think she's from Southeast Asia but her other book was on the list that BookRiot shared so I figured her other books should be included)
15) Read a book of historical fiction set before 1900.
16) Read the first book in a series by a person of color.
17) Read a non-superhero comic that debuted in the last three years.
18) Read a book that was adapted into a movie, then watch the movie.  Debate which is better.

19) Read a nonfiction book about feminism or dealing with feminist themes.
20) Read a book about religion (fiction or nonfiction).
21) Read a book about politics, in your country or another (fiction or nonfiction).
24) Read a book with a main character that has a mental illness.

I'm pretty optimistic about my choices - here's hoping I actually get to finish this challenge.  It was a lot longer than I had expected.

Let me know in the comments if you'll also be participating or if you have any other good challenges to share. 

1 comment:

  1. It's here! All the Light We Cannot See Audio-book is now available on AudioBooksNow.

    ReplyDelete

Holed Up In A Book © 2015