Friday, November 20, 2015

Lord John Grey Series by Diana Gabaldon

Lord John Grey Series by Diana Gabaldon
Published between 2003-2011

Review:
I can’t believe it’s been more than a week since my last review.  It has been crazy busy and I clearly haven’t had that much time to read especially with everything I’m reading these days a series which means a week or more before moving on to the next book/series.  Anyways, as you all know, I’ve been rereading the Outlander series and this time I decided to read them in chronological order.  This means that the Lord John Grey series had to read after the third book and I was excited to read them mainly because this was the first time I had realized they existed.  Finally finishing this short mini-series, I’m moving on to the fourth book of the Outlander series. 

That being said, I definitely enjoyed the Outlander series way more than the Lord John Grey short series.  For some reason, I thought that this mini-series would still include Jamie Fraser to some extent but it didn’t.  Actually, it wasn’t until the last book (The Scottish Prisoner) when finally Jamie made some good contributions to the book.  The first two books including the novellas in between them were mainly focused on Lord John and his adventures to German and other neighboring countries.  It definitely wasn’t not interesting but clearly not as interesting as Jamie and Claire and their crazy adventures throughout Europe and now America.

Lord John was someone who, while not rude nor pompous, clearly treated himself and the others around him with the respect and entitlement he grew up with.  I thought he was a very respectful character and he clearly thought highly of his and his family’s honor.  I believe the first two books and the novellas were mainly him trying to earn back his father’s reputation so clearly this was very important to him.  I’m not sure if I particularly liked him, to be honest, since he lacked that adventure and distinct personality that Jamie so clearly had yet at the same time, Lord John was a very dignified character.  I suppose I just simply did not relate to him and merely read his stories out of obligation to the entire Outlander series itself.

The one thing interesting about this was being able to clearly envision what London was like during the 1700s as well as the neighboring countries specifically Germany.  I’m usually not a huge fan of historical fiction unless there is some fantasy/sci-fi element to it such as Outlander but I thought this was done quite nicely.  There were definitely a few terms that I didn’t completely understand due to the British English versus the American English as well as, obviously, the lingo of that time. 


Overall, not a bad series but if I ever decide to reread the Outlander series again, I would most likely skip this mini-series because, truth be told, Jamie and Claire are just so much more interesting than Lord John Grey.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015