Monday, November 30, 2015

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride
Published October 12, 2010

Review:
I found this book surprisingly interesting and entertaining even though it took me a great while to actually finish the book (I had a lot of other books I was also currently reading).  I really want to find the second book but my library doesn’t have it and I’m not that invested in the series to want to pay for it.  So now I’m left with the option of never finishing this series unless someone happens to have a copy of it. 

Moving on – I was a little worried about the whole necromancy aspect of the book since there aren’t too many out there so I was pleased to find it so well written.  It certainly kept me entertained throughout the entire book.  There was a lot of sarcasm in the book, primarily from Sam, that I appreciate – it definitely made me chuckle. 

Sam, the main character and necromancer, was your typical college dropout.  He worked at a fast food restaurant with a few of his friends (whom I also absolutely loved) and generally glided through life.  In fact, his elderly neighbor, Mrs. W, had more of a social life than he did.  Once he was attacked and faced with the ultimatum of either becoming the evil powerful necromancer’s assistant or being dead.  Obviously, neither was a particularly good choice and thus insanity ensues.

I honestly enjoyed the pace of the book.  There were definitely a lot of wild elements such as crazy garden gnomes, hot werewolves, talking cat who became a mini-dragon, head in a bag, etc. but at the same time, it was never too crazy that you might lose your way.  I definitely put down this book way too many times to count since this was my gym book but as soon as I picked it up again, I was able to remember what had happened previously with surprising clarity.    

The secondary characters – basically anyone that isn’t Sam – were awesome.  They definitely brought a lot of spunk and sass into the book.  I especially enjoyed Brooke (or her head, at least) as well as Ashley the Harbinger.  Overall, the characters gave the book a well-rounded look.  There wasn’t too much sass, too much sarcasm, etc.

I guess the one or two downside of the book was the fact that Sam’s power as a necromancer seemed a little off.  I knew his powers were strong which is why his mother and his uncle put the binding spell on him but I wish we got to see some of his powers come trickling in rather than seeing it unleash like a flood.  If it was so strong, shouldn’t it trickle little by little as he grew older rather than come out all at once?  Also, I thought the nemesis, Douglas, wasn’t as developed as the other characters.  Yes, there was his short bio in the beginning but that was essentially it.  After that, the only times we saw Douglas was when he was either “training” Sam or attempting to kill him.


Overall, still a great and funny book.  I would definitely recommend it – I still need to find that second book, though.  

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015