Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Mostly True Story of Jack by Kelly Barnhill

The Mostly True Story of Jack by Kelly Barnhill
Published August 2, 2011

Review:
The Mostly True Story of Jack was a book that I picked up because the synopsis intrigued me.  However, I do not think the story itself nor the characters drew me in.  Rather than finding the book engaging, I found it slow to the point that I was frustrated and the characters were a bit bland except for Wendy – she was probably the one character I actually enjoyed reading about.  Too bad she didn’t really show up as much as I would have liked.

Jack, the main guy, was always invisible to everyone even to his family and it wasn’t until he stepped into this town that all eyes were literally on him all the time.  I thought he would at least have some defining personality or characteristic and that it was just the situation that allowed him to seemingly become invisible but unfortunately I realized that he was invisible because he was so boring.  I feel like the author did not completely develop him as a character and so he had some pieces missing.

The writing style was also not my taste at all.  The pace was a tad slow and instead of rather than simply keeping the reader in suspense, in a way, it almost bored me to death.  I just wanted things to pick up and figure out what was going on.  I think the book could have been a lot better if the author picked up the pace and made things more interesting.

Another thing I wanted to mention was the plot.  Overall, the plot was interesting but I think the way how the author went about in actually executing it and writing it made it fall short of my expectation.  There were scenes where I was confused by what was going on – there seemed to be this hazy atmosphere throughout the book that made its way to me as well. 


Also, can I just mention about the cover?  Is it just me or is it horrendous?  Yes I can understand where the author/designer of the book was coming from but couldn’t they have thought of something more aesthetically pleasing to the eye?  When I actually saw the cover, I was half tempted to turn down the book.  Yes, I judge books by their cover.  Get over it.  In a way, maybe I should have since it was simply not that interesting but hey, at least I can say I finished it.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015