Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Liar Society by Lisa Roecker

The Liar Society by Lisa Roecker
Published March 1, 2011

Review:
I found this book entertaining.  It reminded me of Nancy Drew with a little more snark to it.  Plus there seemed to be some yummy boys thrown into the mix as well.  This book is actually part of a series – I believe there are three books in total; however, I thought I had downloaded them on my kindle but for some reason, the second book was not the right one – it was a completely different book so I’m not sure how that mix up came to be.  And then my library didn’t have the second book and I can’t/hate read the third book without the second.  And unfortunately I did not like this book enough to purchase the second book either.  So.  This is why I only ended up reading the first book.

Anyways, moving on.  The main character, Kate, like I mentioned before, is essentially a snarky Nancy Drew.  She certainly had a lot of attitude and spunk as well as this sense of justice for her now dead best friend.  The one thing I wondered, however, was that how did she know the death of her friend was not an accident from the beginning?  She was so sure that there was some sort of foul play and that the details of her death were kept secret from the public but how was she so sure?  Obviously, she was right since this book basically had her running around, finding random clues and piecing them all together to finally solve the mystery.  I enjoyed reading about her – I thought she had a lot of gut and courage to stand up and try to solve the mystery even when there were so many obstacles in her way.  I also liked how smart and resourceful she was – there were definitely a lot of clues in there that I would have never figured out. 

I also liked the sidekick and the little romantic scenes that were incorporated into the book.  It seemed cute and definitely gave more of that high school feel.  The plot was also pretty good because it weaved around a lot of components so you were always wondering who was behind it, what’s going on, etc.  It was definitely not something that was easily guessed or figured out. 


The writing in this book was decent – the book certainly is not going to be known for its writing but mostly for the plot itself.  Overall, it was a decent book but nothing to write home about.  If you’re interested in a light mystery then this book is for you.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015