Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Demon Trappers Series by Jana Oliver

The Demon Trappers Series by Jana Oliver
Published between 2010-2012

Review:
The Demon Trappers series was certainly an interesting read.  Mainly because of the characters and the plot.  There were two main demon “exterminators” – one being the trappers who obviously trapped the demons, sold them to a wholesaler who then sold them in bulk to the churches to destroy them and the other being demon hunters who did the job quick and simple.  In a way, I felt as if the trappers were pretty much useless because it takes up so much more willpower and risk to trap a demon alive rather than simply shoot it down.  However, I can also see the reason why there were two sides which is explained in the last book.

Riley was someone I couldn’t decide if I liked her or disliked her.  At times, she was very mature with her way of thinking and I loved how she was willing to jump into situations for her loved ones but at other times, I found her extremely immature and her age (16 or 17) truly showed during those moments.  She was a little unpredictable which I guess made her more realistic because, as we all know, humans are highly unpredictable.  And the relationship she had with Beck was so frustrating. 

Beck, the main guy in this book and who shared the POV with Riley, was a hard guy to understand.  He had that tough guy exterior to the max and even Riley, who has known him for years, had a very difficult time to truly understand him until he finally let her in.  There were so many times when I simply wanted to smack him because he was being a dolt to everyone specifically Riley.  He was so frustrating as well because he just wouldn’t admit his feelings for her even when it was obvious to everyone and kept doing that push and pull thing with her.  Honestly, I don’t know how Riley managed that whatsoever. 

I think the biggest issue I had with this series was the writing style.  For some reason, I didn’t really like it that much.  I know it was written in two third person perspectives but I wish the labeling was a little clearer.  There weren’t any signs that the specific chapter you’re now reading is told in Riley or Beck’s perspective.  It was more of a vague assumption that you would understand.  And most of the time, I did but at the same time, sometimes it was a little abrupt and I would be caught off guard.

The plot itself was interesting – there were a lot of things that become revealed as you read the rest of the series so it forces you to continue reading.  It’s not one of those books where at the very end, a new problem emerges and you’re like what? Again? And then you have to read the next book or choose not to if you know longer care about their problem.  For this series though, it’s very continuous which I liked a lot. 


Overall, decent series.  I wanted to give it a 3* but then I realized how much I enjoyed the gorgeous southern boys so I’m making it a 4*.  Don’t judge but this is how I sometimes judge my series.  Now I need to contemplate about moving down south to find me some cute southern boys.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015