Monday, September 14, 2015

Heroes of Olympus Series by Rick Riordan

Heroes of Olympus Series by Rick Riordan
Published between 2010-2014

Review:
I loved Rick’s first Olympus series so when I found out that there was a spin-off series that also included Percy and Annabeth, I was eager to snatch it up.  It took me some time to pick it up since I had a large list of books to read but I am glad I did.  I practically devoured the entire series (all 5 novels) in just a few days because they were so easy to read and they were all very entertaining.

I felt like the first two books were more of a build up for the rest of the novels because the first book started with only half of the characters and the second book followed up with the other half of the characters and then finally in the third book, everyone meets and they go off in that quest based on the prophecy.  In a way, I liked this layout because it gave the reader time to digest these new characters that might not have happened as thoroughly as the readers might have liked if Rick had everything happen in just one book before sending them out to the quest.  However, at the same time, two books for a buildup means the reader will have to spend that much time to simply just read the books. 

Out of all the characters: Percy, Annabeth, Jason, Piper, Leo, Hazel and Frank – I liked Leo best because he was absolutely hilarious.  I also felt slightly bad for him because he was basically the 7th wheel.  Everyone else was paired up except for him but it was okay because his personality outshone them all.  He was sarcastic, smart, resourceful, and a quick thinker.  I think he definitely pulled his weight in that group with his inventions even though he wasn’t as powerful as Percy or Jason since they were demigods from the top three. 

The character I disliked the most was probably Jason, which was a little odd for me.  It’s not like I didn’t like him but out of everyone else, he seemed most “meh” to me.  He was confused with what he wanted.  He was the praetor for the Rome camp but felt more like Greek so in a few of the books, you can tell he was struggling with identity crisis.  And because of that, I felt like it was holding him back in a lot of ways.  There were a few times when the group needed his help and he couldn’t give 100% because of his turmoil within. 

While I found the story engaging and highly entertaining, there were definitely a lot of circumstances when they got themselves out of a sticky situation from the most absurd way.  It was hilarious but highly unlikely.  I think it would’ve been more interesting if they actually fought their way out rather than get into an argument with their enemy and somehow the enemy becomes either so enraged from the argument or finds the need to win the argument that the demigods actually end up winning.  I mean, how is that even possible?

The writing style is definitely meant for teens and I don’t need the new adult genre that recently became popular.  Rick’s novels are more for early high schoolers rather than the “young adult” that the YA genre is geared towards.  That being said, I’m still a child at heart so I still thoroughly enjoyed this series.  I’ve always found the Greek mythology fascinating and it was definitely interesting to see the Roman side of things – I’m still a fan of the Greeks though.  I think the Romans are too orderly and combat driven for me. 


That being said, I highly recommend this series especially if you’d enjoyed Rick’s other series or if you’re simply a fan of either Greek or Roman gods and goddesses.  

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015