Friday, September 18, 2015

Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore

Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore
Published October 25, 2011

Review:
I have to admit, the main reason why I picked up this novel was because of the cover – I thought it was simply gorgeous.  The other part was the fact that it’s about mermaids.  There aren’t too many mermaid stories out there so it’s always good to check them out when I do find one.

The main character, Esmerine, recently became a siren which was a status that brought her family upward.  In a way, I’m a little surprised that she became a siren because she didn’t seem to have that siren personality like the rest of her fellow mermaids - she seemed a little quiet, a little shy and not at all malicious which is a trait that is much needed for those who drove humans to their death in the ocean; however, at the same time, sirens are also driven by their need to be in the human world and she certainly portrayed that.  I’m not sure if I was a huge fan of her simply because I never really connected with her. 

I guess there are two problems I had with this book: the lack of a story building and the mediocre writing.  I have read another of her novels and while it wasn’t amazing, the book at least had a lasting impression on me.  Honestly I felt like an intruder in this novel – I felt disconnected with the characters and all of the different species of this world.  Obviously there were mermaids, the winged people and the humans but at one point, Esermine also mentioned there being fairies.  So clearly there were quite a number of different creatures in this world yet Jaclyn never really explored any of that.  I suppose they weren’t that important in the grand scheme of things but there were just a lack of background information. 

The writing was also very choppy.  At times, it flowed quite nicely and at other times, it didn’t.  The time it took to get things done also felt out of whack.  Majority of the book had Esmerine waiting for news of her sister and then suddenly she enlisted Alander’s help where they flew to the mountains to make sure she was okay.  It was just so random and out of sync. 

Alander was also a confounding aspect in this book.  Obviously he had feelings for her but I couldn’t pinpoint anything else about him.  He seemed as if he didn’t want to even see her in the beginning yet volunteered himself to fly her to the mountains just so she could have a peace of mind.  I just felt as if I didn’t know what he was thinking and I felt as if he was just confused a lot of times. 


Overall, definitely not one of the best mermaid books I have read but it was intriguing especially with the winged people element.  However, I probably won’t really recommend it unless you’re really into mermaids.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015