Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Fins Series (#2-#3) by Tera Lynn Childs

Fins Series (#2-#3) by Tera Lynn Childs
Published between 2011-2012

Review:
I’ve always enjoyed Tera’s novels from her Oh.My.Gods. novel from back in the day so I was excited to pick up this series.  I read the first book when it first came out and now I have finally circled back to read the last book of this series and I have to say, I still enjoyed it.  There aren’t too many mermaid stories out there so I’m glad that out of the few, this was a great series.

Lily, or Princess Waterlily, is a very likable character.  She’s sweet, caring, knows her royal duties, charming and an overall great person.  Out of both books, there were only two things I wish she changed about herself. One, I wish she was more honest to Quince especially since he didn’t even know that she was going to give up her royal throne for him.  I’m pretty sure that’s something he should’ve known about rather than being completely blindsided.  And two, it took some for Lily to be more kind towards Doe, her cousin.  Understandably, she was always a brat but still.  There is usually a reason behind it and Lily didn’t take the time to understand her cousin before always snapping at her.  Otherwise, I found Lily to be an agreeable person.

Quince, Lily’s boyfriend, is so sweet.  Yes he had a slight jealous streak to him but honestly, I really liked that.  To me, it showed that he cared.  If he was overly jealous then that would’ve been a problem but thankfully he trusted her enough to not do such crazy things.  I definitely felt the love between the two characters which was good because I hate books where the relationship felt stilted or awkward or unrealistic.  In this case, it felt sweet and true.

The plot and writing style, while cute, was a little cliché.  Don’t get me wrong – I definitely enjoyed Tera’s books and reading about Lily and her many problems but to be perfectly honest, the ending of the last book, the trial, the way how Lily went about solving the merworld problem, etc. all seemed a bit cliché to me.  This is definitely a book that is meant for a light hearted read rather than a book with serious problems and hard writing. 


Overall, great series.  I would definitely check out Tera’s other novels – I believe she has another series out there but I forget what it’s about.  Regardless, I will definitely check it out and if you haven’t already, check out her other books as well.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015