Friday, August 21, 2015

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie
Published August 31, 2004

Review:
This is a book that is just perfect for chilling on a beach or if you simply want to lose yourself in a cute, comical book.  Bet Me definitely isn’t a book where you have to think too much about and it’s so easy to laugh out loud at some of the antics that some of the characters go through.  While a bit cliché and entirely unrealistic, it is still very adorable and you will definitely loving the characters.

Min, short of Minerva, is not exactly the slimmest of all girls – in fact, she is quite round and is always pestered by her mom to lose weight and not eat carbs nor butter.  In a way, I completely relate to her.  I’m not exactly the skinniest person ever nor am I fat but being Asian, my parents have this ideal body image that I simply do not fall under.  I definitely have curves that are somewhat abnormal for typical Asians who are known for their tiny, petite, and somewhat “washboard” figure with no curves.  That being said, my parents were always telling me to go on a diet as well but definitely not the extent that Min’s mom told her to.  While I still go on diets, I have also learned to just be healthy and fit.  I don’t think Min has gotten to that stage yet as she struggles with her diet and with Cal.  I loved how hilarious she was and the attitude she gave to Cal especially since she knew about the bet.  She was hilarious and her love for food definitely shown through.

Cal, the main guy in this book, is described as hot as hell.  He came across as shallow at first since he kept describing Min as the chubby woman but after getting to know her, he started to warm up and become a really decent guy.  In a way, I thought he was on the road to getting whipped.   I loved how family oriented he was to his nephew except for his parents because they were complete douches and how he fell for Min despite her physical flaws.

This won’t be a very long review simply because one, this is an incredibly short book (I believe it’s about 250 pages) and two, it doesn’t have a lot of depth to it.  In fact, a lot of it is just fluff.  However, that being said, it is still very cute and enjoyable.  I went through the book superfast because it was so easy to read.  The writing style wasn’t particularly difficult and it was easy to follow.


Overall, cute book – I’ll think about reading some of Jennifer’s other novels.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015