Saturday, August 8, 2015

Among the Ghosts by Amber Benson

Among the Ghosts by Amber Benson
Published August 31, 2010

Review:
I’m not sure who filed this book under as YA when it’s clearly MG.  The writing style, plot, photos in the book, and everything else just screamed “MIDDLE SCHOOL”.  That being said, it was still a quick and cute read.  There weren’t much depth to anything in this book – more of a brush through with a semi interesting plot. 

The main character, Noh, was a very quirky little girl.  She didn’t talk much, was curious, and was very shy.  She didn’t seem like the type of have many friends which definitely showed through her actions and the way she conversed with the adults around her.  In a way, she was very mature for her age but at the same time, very childish and innocent with her curiosity.  She was definitely one of those independent children who ventured on her own to do things the way how she wanted to and when she wanted to do them.  I didn’t particularly enjoy reading her nor did I connect with her because I wasn’t like that when I was younger.  I was independent but I also liked to have a lot of friends so we were extremely different.

The plot was the extremely predictable with no real plot twists.  I basically figured out everything right from the beginning and wasn’t particularly surprised when “surprises” showed up, lol.  The writing was also very choppy and clearly meant for younger kids.  There were also a surprisingly lack of descriptions that I am usually used to since all of the books I read usually have a wealth of descriptive paragraphs about literally everything.  This book was clearly the opposite.  I had to picture a lot of stuff from the drawings scattered throughout the book to place some of the objects or scenes or just the people in general.


Overall, very, very short read.  It just took me some time because I wasn’t really interested but I did want to finish it.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015