Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A Note Before Dying by CA Larmer

A Note Before Dying by CA Larmer
Published February 5, 2015

Review:
Honestly, I only picked up this book because a fellow friend recommended it and he wanted to read it for our book club meeting so I agreed.  While I typically do like mysteries and whatnot, I did not find this book to be incredibly interesting nor did it really draw me in.  This is the sixth book of the series but my friend swore that each book could be a standalone and while this was true, I think there were still a lot of references that were made that belonged in the previous novels.  So at the end of the day, it would’ve been better if I had read the series from the beginning.

Anyways, moving on.  The writing style of the book somehow seemed a little dumbed down for the readers.  I’m not really sure how to describe this but the books I typically read usually flows very well and are very eloquent.  This book, in comparison, seemed a little more choppy and it didn’t seem to flow particularly well.  I found that the character’s thoughts were all over the place and I found myself a little confused at times.  Honestly, I did not particularly like the writing style. 

Roxy, the main character, was not a character I connected with.  I’m sure she had her own charm which might have developed more in the first book and for those who have followed her adventures might find her more enjoyable to read but for someone who just started this book and read about her for the first time, she was mediocre to be honest.  Her attempts to be funny were more like “meh” in my mind rather than actually funny.  Her line of thought was also “meh”.  I also didn’t really understand what she did for a living other than “ghostwriting” other people’s lives – and once Jed died, what was she supposed to do?  It seemed like what she usually did was write about living people’s biography rather than a biography for someone who was dead.  This book just did not hit it home for me.

Sam and her best friend (I already forgot her name) just were not particularly interesting to say the least.  I found her best friend to be a little off-putting and a little snobbish for my taste even when I’m sure she wasn’t trying to be at all.  That was what was saddest – that she didn’t even know.  Sam just seemed too innocent but creepy at the same time.  I’m sure everyone knows someone who is like that.  I never found him attractive even though Roxy clearly did. 


Overall, very bland book.  I will most likely not be reading the rest of the series.  

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015