Saturday, July 25, 2015

Siren Series by Tricia Rayburn

Siren Series by Tricia Rayburn
Published 2011-2012

Review:
It’s been a while since I read the first book in this series, Siren¸ and I remembered really liking it so I was excited to finally have a chance to grab the last two books in this series.  Unfortunately I think I had overestimated it.  Either that or the last two books were not as interesting as the first – in fact, a part of me believes that the second two books were not even necessary.  The story plot was a little bland and I felt that the author had run out of interesting plot for Vanessa and her group of friends.  There were definitely a few questions answered in the last two books but I personally did not feel as if they were of importance.  And for some reason, I didn’t really like Vanessa that much.

I remembered really liking her in the first novel and her strong personality especially with the way she carried her “mission” at the end of the book.  However, for the second two books, I found her a bit confused (for the second book) with her life as a siren, her love life, with her friends and everything and a little clingy (for the third book) towards Simon.  Of course, I understand her confusion with her new siren life but the way how she stumbled around especially after she found out about her mother.  The way how she treated her mother was somewhat hot and cold.  Hot when she wanted information and cold when she didn’t even when she needed it to survive.  It was certainly an odd relationship.  I also didn’t like her reasoning for why she couldn’t be with Simon and the reason why she had to continue to do so even though she loved Siren all because she was a siren.  I feel like that was such a shitty reason.  And I think because of that, she was confusing because she couldn’t figure out her own feelings for Simon and for Parker in the second book. 

The story plots for the two novels were a bit bland in comparison to the first novel.  Personally I thought that the second book felt like a filler – a really long one.  And to be perfectly honest, the third book wasn’t much better.  There were a lot of stuff going on in the book that felt out of wack – the thing with Betty, her “relationship” with Parker, her “relationship” with Simon, her figuring out what being a siren meant, her family issues, and so many more.  In the third book, I thought it was pretty obvious who the culprit was in the beginning but Vanessa didn’t figure it out until it was almost too late and the way how the book ended was just so blah.  It felt rushed and the one paragraph explanation for why she was still alive was not enough.  It was a little confusing and I wish the author touched upon it a little more.


Overall, mediocre ending to a first great book.  It certainly was worth reading it just so I can figure out some more aspects in the siren world but if the first book was a standalone, I would have been fine with that as well.  I guess if you’re really interested in Vanessa’s story after the first book, check these two out or if you just want to read more books about sirens.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015