Saturday, July 18, 2015

I'm Not Her by Janet Gurtler

I'm Not Her by Janet Gurtler
Published May 1, 2011

Review:
This book was a sad book – let’s just leave it as that.  While it was sad, in a bleaking way, it was also uplifting in the fact that what Tess’ family had to go through was difficult but they came out stronger and that’s definitely hopeful. 

I just can’t believe all the negative things that happened to her family in such a short while too – it’s so ridiculous.  I don’t know how anyone can overcome such tragedies without completely falling apart.  Tess’ family definitely fell apart around the seams but Tess herself, in fact, became a lot stronger from it.  She was the one who stood up and took the place of her usual strong sister.  I really admire Tess in this book.  I don’t know how I would fare if I was in that situation but she was very strong and her ability to adapt, help out and try to do damage control at the same time to her downward spiraling family is admirable.  Honestly, I really respect Tess with all the decisions she had to make – it must’ve been extremely hard.

Kristina, the popular girl who suddenly had cancer, is someone I can only sympathize with.  Thankfully I don’t know anyone with cancer or anything so I couldn’t really relate to what she was going through; however, I think if I was in her shoes, I would probably do the same exact things.  I definitely feel for her struggles and I can’t believe some of the tragic things she had to go through.

I really did not like their parents.  They both just simply fell apart and nothing seemed important to them anymore.  Their mother, for example, got wasted and basically told Tess that she thought it was her who had cancer rather than the popular, athletic Kristina.  What kind of mother would say that even if they’re intoxicated?  I don’t think that excuses her at all.  And their father was never home anymore and it was hinted that he was cheating on his wife with someone at work.  What kind of father would do that in the face of a crisis?  I just can’t believe how their parents simply broke down and couldn’t even function like proper parents.


Overall, this is definitely a very depressing read but if you look at it in a different way, it’s also uplifting and gives you a hopeful aspect.  

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015