Friday, July 3, 2015

Game of Love by Ara Grigorian

Game of Love by Ara Grigorian
Published May 4, 2015

Review:
Game of Love was a surprisingly good book.  It warmed my heart because of all the feels.  But really, I was quite surprised.  To be perfectly honest, I was surprised that I had picked up this book because I totally judge the book by its cover and this cover really is not that great compared to all the other gorgeous covers out there.  In fact, it reminded me of a book that could’ve been published in the 90s or something.  However, I’m glad I picked it up because I really enjoyed it.  It had three things that I love: tennis, chick lit and a gorgeous, caring guy.

Gemma, the pro tennis player slash celebrity, never knew who to trust after this horrific accident a few months ago.  And after numerous incidents with the paparazzi judging her every move, she is very paranoid with the media finding about where she is, who she hangs out with and what she does.  It was to the point that she would go out of her way to avoid people and crowds.  It seemed super realistic especially for an athlete/superstar.  She was pulled in too many directions – people who wanted her to become famous and those who wanted her to focus on her tennis.  I really enjoyed reading about her because she changed a lot throughout the book.  Gemma went from a jaded person to someone who learned that she can still enjoy life without sacrificing herself for it. 

Andre, the young genius, also faced something similar.  Rather than being in the spotlight like Gemma, he was in the spotlight for his skills and brains.  Even though he was pressured and overworked like Gemma, he at least had someone constant in his life who remained his rock so he was still able to enjoy life.  However, after losing that rock, he started to lose himself as well and started to throw himself into his work and forgets how to really live.  It wasn’t until he met Gemma that he realized that there was more to life than work and money.  I really like how he influenced Gemma to become more open and how she influenced him as well to realize that money isn’t everything. 


While there were some cliché romance sections in this book, I still found them endearing.  The one thing that I didn’t like so much was how fast they moved from being complete strangers to following them to California to spend a few days with the other party to inviting them to London to becoming engaged.  It was like a whirlwind romance which I suppose to somewhat to be expected since one of the party members was a celebrity and they tend to do things fast.  Regardless, I still really enjoyed this book.  I loved Gemma and Andre and now I need to go out and find an Andre for myself. 

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015