Monday, June 8, 2015

Time Travelers Never Die by Jack McDevitt

Time Travelers Never Die by Jack McDevitt
Published November 3, 2009

Review:
While Time Travelers Never Die was not a boring read, it was not as fascinating as I had expected it to be.  To put it shortly, it was average at best.  There were a lot of plot holes littered throughout this book and somehow I felt as I was reading, that this book was incredibly long yet somehow I couldn’t bring myself to put it down and move on to a different book even though I definitely thought about it a lot.  And when I checked to see how many pages (less than 400), I couldn’t believe it wasn’t as long as I had felt (at least 600 pages, IMO).

Anyways, moving on to the actual review of the book: I think the one thing that kept me flipping through the pages were the historical people and events that Shel and David kept going back to visit.  Personally, I found those bits pretty interesting and the costumes that they would get to prepare for their journeys were hilarious.  I noticed that a lot of people were complaining about how fake the history was but to me, who am not a history buff, I thought they were interesting and quite educating.  However the one thing that I also found a bit unrealistic in regards to the language aspect.  How did they manage to grab command of so many different languages in such a short amount of time?  I spent two years learning Latin during high school and I am definitely not fluent in that language yet somehow they spend a month or so and suddenly, bam, they’re fluent?  What?

So I was reading some other reviews and realized that the “qPods” referred to in the book was actually “iPod” so somehow they were traveling via iPods.  LOL.  I wish I had known that beforehand, that would have changed my perspective throughout the book drastically. 

Another loophole/confusion that I faced were all the going back and forth – I honestly lost track of time in essence and was surprised that they were only traveling for a year or so.  With everything that was going on, it seemed as they were traveling for years now.  And there were a lot of times when I got confused because they would find themselves in a situation that required them to go back a few minutes early to find a solution to get themselves out of the situation they will eventually find themselves in.  So confusing.  The one thing I learned is that time traveling is incredibly confusing and it hurts my brain.

And the ending with Shel and his supposed death?  What?  I can’t believe it happened but at the same time, I totally can.


Overall, this book is definitely very heavy on the history aspect and the time traveling can seem a little too much after a while.  But it was interesting and I still managed to read it through.  I would recommend this book to those who are interested in either time travel or any history.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015