Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Coming of the Dragon by Rebecca Barnhouse

The Coming of the Dragon by Rebecca Barnhouse
Published October 26, 2010

Review:
The one word to describe this book would be: meh.  That’s it.  To be honest, it kept me relatively entertained and I was interested enough to keep flipping the pages but it didn’t really call out to me nor did I feel particularly engaged in the book.

The story followed the life of Rune from when he was a little boy and found cast off in a boat to when he finally learned how to be brave.  While he was vaguely interesting, there were too many other characters and all of them had odd, hard-to-remember names so there were times when I had to flip back and remember who the author was referring to.  Anyways, back to Rune – I really liked how his character developed throughout the novel from an insecure teenage boy to someone who could actually be trusted and relied on.  There were a lot of confusing aspects to his life as he was growing up such as Amma’s secrets , history of his lineage, and the ridicule that he would often receive from his peers but somehow he managed to overcome all of that and turn out to be a decent human being.


There were a few twists in the plot but overall, it was relatively predictable.  It was definitely a coming of age book and the story line personified that immensely.  I’m honestly not sure why I had this on my TBR list (if you couldn’t tell, I’ve been trying to tackle my ridiculous long list of TBRs for a few years now since I was quite busy the past few years so they’ve piled on) since this was clearly geared more towards the MG level rather than YA.  I probably would have enjoyed this book a lot more if I was in the actual target group or if I was more interested in this target group but alas, I was not.  So while this book was relatively decent for me, I would probably not recommend it unless you were extremely into dragons, fantasy and Beowulf as this book was inspired by Beowulf.   

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015