Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Flappers Series by Jillian Larkin

Flappers Series by Jillian Larkin
Published between 2010-2012

Review:
The Flappers series is essentially Gossip Girl meets 1920s minus the “you know you love me, Gossip Girl” voice.  Otherwise, it is pretty much the same – similar drama, boy drama, family problems, etc.  However, I have to say, I like this series so much better than the Gossip Girl.  I thought the Gossip Girl was a little too much bitch vs bitch for me whereas the Flappers series had a little more class in certain areas.

My favorite character was probably Clara, Gloria’s cousin (Gloria was another one of the main girls in this series).  She originally pretended to be “poor and from the country” but was actually from NYC and was recovering from certain experiences there.  She was certainly interesting and quite entertaining as she played the “poor country girl” role with her cousin and her friends.  Even though she made a lot of mistakes during her time in NYC, it was clear that she was trying to fix herself and become better.  I thought she was the most relatable out of the three girls.  She also grew up a lot throughout the series from a girl who was trying to overcome her past to someone who really took her future in her own hands and wasn't afraid to stand up for what she believed in.

Lorraine, Gloria’s best friend in Chicago, was possibly the most ridiculous person I have ever read about.  In a way, I felt sorry for her but at the same time, these stupid decisions that she was making are all on her.  No one forced her hand and no one convinced her of anything.  Some decisions were based on her need to stand out and other decisions were just plain stupid.  I just didn't understand how she somehow expected mobsters to fulfill their end of the bargain.  There’s a reason why they’re mobsters and not decent folks.  However, I do have to say, she certainly turned over a new leaf at the end of the series from a pathetic, attention-seeking little girl to someone who has developed some wits and tries her best to stand up for her friends.

Gloria, the final main girl in this series, was hard for me to understand.  There were times when she seemed genuinely nice and sweet and was trying to rebel but then there were times when she was a real bitch so it seemed as if she had multiple personality disorder or something.  I never really understood her motivation for anything especially in the first book – I felt like the author skirted over her interest to sing but then somehow forced singing as her lifelong dream.  Where did that come from?  It wasn't until the third book when her main motivation was to see her one true love, Jerome, again.

The romances in this book were a mix of great passion and lukewarm water.  There were really only two couples: Clara and Marcus; and Gloria and Jerome.  I honestly really liked Clara and Marcus together – they seemed so sweet and realistic.  I could easily see myself or someone else in this type of relationship and it was obvious that the two adored each other despite their many obstacles.  Gloria and Jerome’s relationship was quite vague.  I did not see the start happening – it was as if the author glossed it over in the first book and suddenly, at the end of the first book, she was running to NYC with Jerome.  I feel like the idea of an interracial and the difference in social class couple was interesting especially during those times but there just wasn't much impact and I didn't really get the sense that they really loved each other and I still don’t.


Overall, I really enjoyed this series and have already recommended it to my coworker.  It’s definitely a book that doesn't require a lot of thinking and it is incredibly fun to read about all the scandals and adventure young girls in the 1920s face.  

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I think this series would be extremely interesting. I'm going to have to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Holed Up In A Book © 2015