Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
Published August 14, 2014

Review:
Isla and the Happily Ever After was a good book.  I’m surprised to say this but personally I found the first two books in this series to be much better.  I fell in love with the previous couples and was hoping to fall in love with this one as well.  Unfortunately that did not happen.  Don’t get me wrong – I still really liked this book and enjoyed reading it but it didn’t fill me with all of those warm tingly feelings like the previous two novels had.

Let’s start with the characters: Isla and Josh.  Honestly, I did not care too much for them.  For some reason, they both seemed very two-dimensional – they lacked the realness that the previous couples had which was what made me love them so much.  For Isla and Josh, it was missing and the side characters – Isla’s sister and her best friend felt more like wallpaper rather than becoming a vital part of the book.  The biggest part they played was when they accidentally alerted the dorm manager or whatever that Isla wasn’t in her room and that got Josh expelled.  That was probably the one time either of the side characters seemed important which was quite sad.

Not only that but the love or “love” seemed off.  Perhaps it was because for Isla, she had always crushed on Josh so when the relationship became legit, it became instalove rather than true love – the love that grew and expanded with Anna&St.Clair and Lola&Cricket.  Plus, I felt that the love from Josh towards Isla was lacking – I just didn’t understand how or why he loved Isla.  There weren’t any big problems the two of them had to solve and conquer.  The only “problem” they faced was the fact that he got expelled and was forced by his parents to go back home.  Boohoo.  Such a difficult problem.  Okay, I can see how that might have been a somewhat daunting problem for high schoolers but I felt that problems the previous two couples faced were more cumbersome, I suppose.

My favorite part of the book was at the end when Ann, St. Clair, Lola and Cricket made an appearance – I was so happy to read about them but at the same time, the fact that my favorite scene had absolutely nothing to do with the main characters themselves is quite disappointing.

Overall, I still enjoyed this book but I was just hoping that it would be on par with the other books.  Honestly, I just want more Anna and St. Clair – I think they were my favorite couple by far.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015